Find...and Reset

DT3 has a great Find facility. But when I’m done finding something, I am left with a screen that has only the items I have just found and a bunch of previously very useful indicators and buttons and maybe even a file or two.

Is there an easy way to reset that screen to where it was originally, before I began Finding things? The only thing I have figured out is File > New Window > Choose Database. Maybe I’m just being fussy because normally I also close the previous no longer needed Find Window which is an extra step, but is there some way to just reset that Find Window?

Thanks!

1 Like

The Escape key?

Stephen

1 Like

I despair sometimes (at my complete lack of whatever it is). The escape key. Brilliant. Thanks Stephen - I always sort of just made my way back to wherever I was before I started a search :see_no_evil:

-> heads off to DT3 to try it out

Don’t worry, you have an awful lot more of “whatever it is” than do I, as I’ve seen from your posts on here!

Stephen

1 Like

What a kind thing to say - thank you :slight_smile:

Escape? Absolutely Amazing! Thanks! I mean, it makes sense, but It would definitely have been an accident if I had ever discovered that. Is it written down somewhere in the manual?

Well, there is this on page 223:

Escape: Cancels processes, closes dialogs or Quick Look previews, etc., depending on the context.

Stephen

1 Like

The Esc trick is useful for going back a step, but sometimes, if I have to go back more than a single step, it still leaves me at a place where I have to close out the window and open a new one.

I’m also wondering if we are looking at different versions of the manual. I did a search for the term “Escape” and got 9 hits between pp 20 & 166. Nothing on p223 and did a visual check that turned up p223 as having a list of other DEVON products, but nothing in the way of program practicalities, unless I’m blind. Old, Yes. My 75th birthday is today, but I don’t think I’m blind.Yet. :wink:

Apologies: try page 222 of the DT 3.0.4 documentation. (I use Skim as my pdf reader and that gives me page 224 on re-checking just now although the actual page number in the manual is 222.)

Stephen

I don’t think this is all too important now that I have gotten the idea that Escape can be a very useful key, but I am curious about your using Skim as your PDF reader. How do you use it in your PDF workflow? When you mark up a PDF with Skim, can you just put it straight into your database? Or do you have to export it and put that regular PDF file as marked up into your database? Thanks!

I don’t really have a “pdf workflow” as such. I’m retired and use DT for saving paid accounts and bank statements, recipes to try, personal documents (birth certificate, etc.), to keep manuals and guides and to archive old emails and journal entries. I use Skim as a pdf reader (and occasionally to annotate pdf files—but then I’d export to Finder, savving the annotations, before taking the file into DT).

I find Skim a well maintained and versatile pdf reader which is much less cumbersome and demanding of resources than the Adobe offering. Hazel is in fact more use to me in working with DT than is Skim—because I use Hazel automatically to rename and place into DT downloaded items like accounts and bank statements.

Stephen

Thanks! I like Hazel, too, and use it for a number of things.

I just learned that you don’t have to save Skim files before importing to DT. You can import first then open the file and annotate it in Skim and it saves the annotations.

Yes, indeed: that’s helpful, thanks.

Stephen