Find > In Database... permanently greyed out

Hi, I’m running v3 beta of DEVONthink and search is just not working for me in any of my databases. Am I missing something simple?

Because of space, I’ve removed the bar search box. The Edit menu command Find > In Database is permanently greyed out no matter which databases I select. The side bar search is greyed out until I actually click into a document, then I can ‘find and replace’ in the document, but I cannot search in my database as a whole.

I’ve tired re-indexing databases, but still nothing. Is there a setting I’m missing?

Thanks

Welcome @rachel

The Edit menu command Find > In Database is permanently greyed out no matter which databases I select.

Yes, of course it is since the toolbar search is the mechanism that command uses. If the toolbar search field is removed, it can’t be activated by the command.

The side bar search is greyed out until I actually click into a document

That is also correct. The Search inspector is for in-document searching, therefore it requires a document to search on.

Right, I see. In version 2 there was a button version of search to save space on toolbar.

Having search take up so much room on the tool bar when I hardly use it is a pain, but removing it means its keyboard shortcut function is also crippled is just loopy.

I would not call it “loopy”. It’s actually a logically consistent behavior given this is the mechanism called by the command. The only other option coming to mind would be to automatically reinstate the toolbar search when the command is invoked.

So when I said ‘loopy’, I’m talking from a user’s perspective who has no interest in programming. I get where you are coming from, I do, but the idea of keyboard shortcuts and menu bar items are generally mutually exclusive in use. You use one or the other, not one to get to the other, and if one is missing both fail to work, that’s what I mean when I say loopy.