Find replace - commands for line and paragraph breaks

For DTOP someone on the forum kindly provided me with a script for splitting a chunk of text into separate sentences. When the time comes to officially update to DT3 can I presume that the script will work in DT3 or would it have to be modified?

Secondly, I experience the same issue in other apps - eg Scrivener and Mellel - but the solution in those is to use the Find and Replace. Where Find is a full stop and Replace a full,stop and 1 or 2 line breaks.

In DTOP and i assume DT3 (i haven’t checked) the Find and Replace is or seems limited Would it be possible for F and R in DT3 to be more adventurous? To enable Replace to include line and paragraph break commands?

As long as it uses the generic identifier like…

tell application id "DNtp"

…then the script should be compatible.

You could copy & paste the desired characters into the Find and Replace fields.

1 Like

How, please? When i enter . in Find and . in Replace, where would I find the characters that represent line break?

E.g. by copying a line break from a text document.

The above is a full stop plus two line break characters

but I cannot see them
And it doesn’t work.

Sample text.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey with EU grant. Jaguar Landrover new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, sold to Volkswagen last week.Peugeot closed Ryton plant (was Rootes Group) moved production to Slovakia.British Army’s new Ajax armed vehicles to be built in Spain using Swedish steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant instead of Wales.Dyson goes to Malaysia with an EU grant.Crown Closures Bournemouth (was Metal Box) gone to Poland with EU grant. Once employed 1,200.M&S manufacturing gone to FE with EU loan.Hornby Models gone. All toys and models gone from UK with patents… all with EU grants.Gillette gone to E. Europe with EU grant.Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant. Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant. Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil foam plant will relocate to Roemond Netherlands with EU funding.Hoover Merthyr Tydfil factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company, Candy with EU backing.ICI integration into Holland’s Akzo Nobel with EU bank loan. Within days of the merger, several UK factories were closed eliminating 3,500 jobs.Boots sold to Italian Stefano Pessina who’ve based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year using an EU loan for the purchase. Now issued profit warning last week.JDS Uniphase run by two Dutchmen who bought up companies in the UK with £20 million EU ‘regeneration grants’, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean up paid by the UK taxpayer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.UK airports owned by Spanish company.Scottish Power owned by Spanish company.Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies (Deutschebarn).Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by EDF (Energie de France) part owned by French Govt. using cheap Chinese steel which has catastrophically failed at other nuclear installations. EDF now says the costs will double and it will be very late if it even does come online.Swindon once made rail locomotives and rolling stock. All transferred to Bombardier in Derby due to their losses in the aviation market will see the end railway manufacture altogether. Bombadier got a grant to keep going in Derby, but diverted it to their loss-making aviation site in Canada.39% British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies mostly in the EU.Mini cars are built by BMW in Holland and Austria.Fans outrage as foreign firm Nestle shrinks Terry’s Chocolate Oranges by 10% but price remains the same.And the last is the destruction of our steel industry. We invented the process in 1856, before Henry Bressemer everything was made of cast iron or bronze/copper! British Steel’s receivership loses 25,000 jobs. Makes us dependent on poor quality imports (see above Hinkley Point C) with the knock on effects to manufacturing.

How?

E.g. move the text cursor to the end of a line, press Shift-Right and Cmd-C.

Sorry but I’m not getting this.
Sample.
The relationship of landlord and tenant may be described as the relationship which exists between the parties to a demise and between their respective assigns. The relation is one of tenure, and although in former times it existed between freeholders, where the owner of a freehold granted there out a lesser estate of freehold (such as an estate for life), in practice at the present day the relationship of landlord and tenant arises where the owner of an estate in land grants to another an estate less than freehold and less than he himself possesses in the land.

In the first sentence above the word at the end of the line is assigns. From what you are telling me, in Find I select the . together with the white space immediately following. Then press Shift-Right (ie Shift plus arrow key right), then Cmd-C (to copy). Then in Replace, presumably I paste Cmd-V ?

Not sure whether the forum stripped the original formatting of this text but there’s no line break right after “assigns” and my suggestion works only in case of a line break. E.g. in TextEdit create a new doc, press Return, Cmd-A and Cmd-C. This copies exactly one line break to the clipboard.

Followed. but still cannot get it to work. Will leave it and either do the processing of chunk text in Scrivener or Mellel then copy/paste the finished content to D, or separate manually or use DT the script as before. Thank you anyway.