Finding duplicates across databases

What is the best way to find duplicates across databases?

Sometimes through the sync progress documents I have moved out of the Global Inbox into another database remain in Glovbal Inbox on another machine. Would be nice to find a quick way to see all documents in the Global Inbox which have duplicates in another database.

Each database is a separate container (like a volume in the Finder), therefore duplicates can’t be recognized across databases. Do the items remain in the global inbox after manually synchronizing all devices again, were any issues logged?

Thanks for chiming in!

Mmmh, I suspected this… Is there no way to do this? It doesn’t need to be fast, could run in the background (over night?)…

Manual sync? Do you mean in DT3 FileSynchronize?

I sometime get the dreaded UUID already in database, and I got it this time for one document, but I have approx. ten(!) documents which remain on one computer’s Inbox after I moved them.

Are these emails?

The issue with duplicate emails not allowed comes up often.

Since DT3 has such good duplicate protection in general, why make emails a different use case?

Why not let us import emails at will and let the system flag them as duplicates just li any other document?

There are valid reasons to import duplicates of emails, just like there are valid reasons to import duplicates of any document type.

The UUID of an email is derived from the email itself. You cannot have more than one file with the same UUID.

And before you say “But…” :slight_smile: that’s also part of the mechanism that ensures you’re not unintentionally reimporting the same emails again and again.

Could you create a replicant when this happens rather than abort the import?

No, PDFs, Webarchives and Markdown files.

I think, I get the “UUID already in database” most often with Markdown files.

A replicant is actually created if the item in the destination has the same type and size. The Markdown documents having the same UUID in different databases probably represent a different version and therefore an error is logged.

Makes sense. Thanks.