Focusing only on a specific group?

Hi. Is there a way to drill down or focus on a specific group and hiding other groups?

For example, I just want to see Group B and it’s contents while hiding the rest.

Database A
|
Group A
|
Group B
|
Group C

Cheers.

It’s not possible in the Navigate sidebar. However, groups can be hidden from the item list on a per-database basis by choosing View > Show Only Documents.

Thanks for the reply. Pity but tip on showing only documents does make it tidier.

Looks like only option to it create a new DB and move all documents in Group B to it, close all DBs and leaving only new DB opened. Looking for a way to display only Group B in order not to be distracted by all other DB and groups.

Why don’t you open the group in a new window and hide the Navigate sidebar?

1 Like

Tried that before asking. I have a number of subgroups under group, using example above subgroup C1, C2, C3… under Group C. Closing navigate sidebar would make it harder to navigate amount subgroups. Your solution of showing only documents is a better solution.

This might help, The reason why you can’t navigate amongst the subgroups is that you are only showing documents in the list window if you remove that option you will be able to.

I also share your interest of having a focus mode in the navigation panel. I would find it helpful. Though software category might be not be equivalent, you can find similar functionality in OmniFocus and Ulysses for IOS.

What is a "focus mode?

This is the focus mode in OmniFocus.
There is a similarity in functionality. There is a side bar which is used to navigate through projects and folders that contain them. When clicking on a folder or project only the tasks for the selected folder or project appear in the list window, similar to DT3. However the other projects/folders are still visible in the Navigation pane again similar to DT3.
However, the pro version, gives one the ability hide the other projects and folders and only to navigate within the currently selected project/folder.
This is a Pro feature that costs extra.

If you disable Preferences > General > Sidebar: Unify Databases, you can isolate the groups of one database in an active database section of the Navigate sidebar. Is this similar?

I tried that but that doesn’t help for what I am looking for. I would like to use the navigation pane for navigation into the groups within the database.

Thanks

I would like to use the navigation pane for navigation into the groups within the database.

That’s available in non-unified databases.

Also, the effect you’re showing is the same as opening a group in a new window.
You can set Preferences > General > Double-click opens group in a new window to make this the default behavior.

1 Like

Also, the effect you’re showing is the same as opening a group in a new window.
You can set Preferences > General > Double-click opens group in a new window to make this the default behavior.

Yes I know, I understand that there are ways to get a similar functionality. (Omnifocus has the new window option as well.) I just voiced my preference that for me is a smoother workflow to have the focus mode as I described. Everybody has their preferences and I just mentioned mine (not knowing if shared by others).
As always thank you and Devon Technologies for DT3.

I find that the > is gone and I don’t have that option.

Here is a non-unified database with its contents in the active section below it…

Oh, now I see. thank you.

You’re welcome.

Double click a folder to show only the contents of that folder.

A mockup of such a focus mode created back in the 3-pane-view discussion heydays: 3 Pane view in DT3