Folder Actions Help

I know this was already asked, but how can I use DTP folder actions. I simply want to move files from a folder on my desktop anytime I add a new file to that folder. I’d like to delete files from that desktop folder once moved.

Thanks.

You could index a folder and attach a smart rule to it determining what should happen to the file once it is added to the folder.

I prefer to import it so I can clear the folder on my desktop afterward.

Thanks, which menu is this? Is it a DTP menu?

That is the Actions dropdown in a smart rule, like so…

I found the folder action “Import & Delete” and ran it against the folder on my desktop. It moved my files into DT, which is great. However, it did not delete the files in the folder on my desktop after importing them.

I understand the “move to database” if I am using an indexed folder.

Using Hazel I am copying files from a reference manager. The files are on Google Drive. I copy any new file added to my reference manager to my desktop. I think want to move it next to DT (to a specific database if possible) and clear it from my desktop folder.

Using Hazel I am copying files from a reference manager. The files are on Google Drive. I copy any new file added to my reference manager to my desktop. I think want to move it next to DT (to a specific database if possible) and clear it from my desktop folder.

Then follow @Bernardo_V’s advice and index the folder on your desktop and use a smart rule with a Move into Database action as he suggested. There’s no need to copy the file then delete it in that case.

1 Like

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much.

1 Like

No problem :slight_smile: