Font Size in Browser

I am beginning to really enjoy using DTPO. I use three pane view for the most part. When I look at a web page in that view the text is sometimes a little small for my comfortable reading. Normally on a Mac I hit the command plus sign and the font will increase. It seems like DTPO does not have this option however. Yes, I can do the accessibility trick and command option plus and make the whole screen larger but this makes for scrolling by moving the whole screen around and is less than ideal.

Is there a command I have not found through the help menu for making text larger in a browser in 3 pane view in DTPO?

If not, may I offer this as a suggestion for a future version update?

Thanks

Most zoom commands (see menu View or toolbar customization) and their shortcuts are supported by web views too.

Interesting, thanks. I tired experimenting with key strokes. Now that you both have pointed this out in the VIEW menu … The view menu does work - but the equivalent key strokes do not work.

That is, I cannot make the “larger” size work via key command. The smaller text does work via key command. I can make the text lager in the pull down menu - but not from using the equivalent key stroke shown in the view menu. I can make the text smaller with the pull down menu - or with the key equivalent shown in the pull down menu.

Yes, I can go to a full page browser in DTPO or in Firefox for that matter. Right now my visual focus space is extremely important so I want to be able to read the page where It appears - if possible (and now It appears this is indeed possible with adjusting views). For some pages and for many uses I will certainly open a full size browser window. Otherwise I want to see pages as I have described.

This forum thread and this post are done quite nicely without opening a full browser as but one example of this page showing normal sized text. Some web designers have a different idea of what “normal sized text” should look like.

Thanks

ADDED: I think this may be another bug? I quickly worked around It using the ever wonderful Keyboard Maestro by making the same key command that should have been in DTPO so I can now follow the menu commands for larger text and smaller text.

Both keyboard shortcuts, to increase or decrease magnification of font size appearance, work here. It’s not a DEVONthink bug.

Perhaps another application has hijacked the “increase apparent size” keyboard command, or you may have assigned it for another purpose. I recall a couple of Support reports where proper operation of those keyboard commands returned following a Restart of the computer, indicating a temporary memory error or a gremlin that had taken up residence.

I will take a look at that. Do you know of a way to review all assigned key commands in OS X? Over the years I have probably left commands behind from this or that app. It would be useful to review them all and do some housecleaning. Of course I also want to check to see if I can free up my DTPO large text command.

Normally Keyboard Maestro would not assign a duplicate key command. That is, It would assign It but when I used that key command I would get a popup dialog that listed the commands for that key and asked me to select one. In this case I found no such error which suggested there was (probably) not a previous key assigned as DTPO has.

Thanks.

Because “+” is a shifted character on the top row you need to always add “Shift” when you want to access a shifted character on that row – otherwise, if you have a numeric keypad, use the unshifted “+” there.

So ^⌘+ on the top row is ^⌘⇧+

Interesting observation. There is no shift character on the View menu command for “Zoom In”. Using the numeric key command for plus does make “Zoom In” work with the plus key and the minus key. Looking at the keyboard equivalent, the plus key in lower case is the equals sign and the minus key in lower case is the hyphen or minus sign. So the keyboard does work (by coincidence apparently) on the “Zoom Out” command but not on the “Zoom in”.

Thanks.

Because, if you use the numeric key then you do not use shift, but if you use the top row of the keyboard you would obviously have to shift to access the key.

Coincidence? No. The hypen (aka “minus”) on the upper row of a keyboard is not a shift character. That’s not a coincidence, it’s a design 8) Nothing is wrong with the menu, it merely reflect how keyboards work.

Yes, I think I just said that and I agreed with you. I did not say there was anything wrong with the menu. Moving on … :unamused:

Looking at the thread, it wasn’t apparent that you had agreed with korm. His last post was useful in clarifying the convention used when keyboard commands are specified, for the benefit of others following the thread.

Many keyboard commands include a character that requires depression of the Shift key when the character is to be invoked from the top row (numeric and other characters) of the keyboard. But the customary convention is to specify such keyboard presses by including the top character on the key – the character that will result from holding down the Shift key when the key is pressed.

Thus, the keyboard shortcut for the Service to append a text selection to a just-captured rich text file is represented as Command-@ rather than Shift-Command-2.

DEVONthink uses that customary convention.

When I said:

I did not mean that It was a coincidence that the menu was set up a certain way. I was agreeing and then stating that It was merely an apparent coincidence that the Zoom Out actually does work on the keyboard and not just on the numeric keyboard as It was designed to work. I thought It was clear when I suggested that this does work with the Numeric keypad Plus sign and minus sign just as the menu pointed out. I thought - and still think that I was already saying that I Was in agreement with what korn and cgrunenberg and yourself had posted.

When Korm wrote:

It sounded like Korm thought I had said that the menu set up was an incorrect assumption on my part - a coincidence meant as a design flaw and then went on to reiterate what I had just said.

My apologies for any lingering confusion. I do appreciate the kind help and the feedback from everyone. I thank you for the feedback and, as far as I am concerned, this problem has been resolved.

Thanks.