Freeform Arrangement of Items

After demoing Devon several times over the years, and not really “getting” it, I finally plunged in on this (my third) book project - and glory be, I understand. It works, and I’m more than pleased. The power is amazing, and I’m about to buy (I was impressed before, but not enough for the program to overcome my particular peeve, which was lack of sync between two machines. Which I’d still like to see, but which I can get over at this point.)

BUT - there’s one thing I’d like to be able to do that I haven’t figured out, and which I suspect I can’t. Or can I?

I’ve been putting my info, as many of the usage scenarios suggest, into hierarchies, and then using smart groups and replicants (amazing feature!), along with Devon’s other intelligent features, to mine, extract, and otherwise be creative.

But what I’d really like to do is be able to do is have the ability to drag my replicants around into different orders, so I could see how - in my final product (written material) the info would flow together, sort of creating a virtual outline. The original material would remain the same, but I could create a mirror of it in an order of my choosing, rather than strictly by date or any of the other columnar criteria that Devon seems to impose.

Is this possible? If it is, how? If it isn’t, have other folks run up against this and come up with ways around it?

thank you.

• Dan

Just switch to View > Sort > Unsorted. This is currently supported by all views except the left pane of three-pane views.