Gesture or command to go back in navigation vs back in data tree?

Is there a gesture or some other way to go back to the last place I was in DTTG3? For instance, I have a bookmark to a tag in one of my groups to easily find all files related to that project. When I click it, and then use the back arrow, I end up back in the tags list (where that tag is for real), vs back to the spot where the link lives and where I started. This is very disruptive to my workflow.

If there isn’t a method for going back one step in navigation, do any of you have an organizational strategy that is better than the one I am applying here?

The Tags list is where you were previously so that’s where you’ll nevigate back to.

If you want to go the the location of the file, open the Info popup and click the Location link. This will also clear the back navigation and navigating backwards will go up through the parent groups all the way back to the Home screen.

You can also long-press a file in the Tags group and choose Reveal from the context menu.

Hi Bullfrog,

You have to backwards from the behavior I am talking about. I did not start in the tags folder, but that is where it takes me back to. What you describe is the behavior I expect, but I get the opposite.

You are clicking a bookmark that reveals the tag group. Navigating backward - really upward in this case - from the tag group puts you in the Tags group, etc.

Yes, that’s what I’m seeing. That’s the opposite of what you said in your first sentence:

The Tags list is where you were previously so that’s where you’ll nevigate back to.

What I want to do is navigate backward through my navigation history, not the navigation tree.

It was unclear what you were saying initially. It sounded like you were browsing the Tags groups and openeing files from within specific tags groups.

Also, just did a quick test. A workaround is to put the link in a markdown doc, which when clicked, brings up the tagged items in the document view without changing my side panel navigation. That’s great, but the view is sadly useless, as it comes up as cards instead of a list of files. For my notes, I start each one with the date, and there isn’t enough text in the card layout (it does not wrap_ to see enough of the title to make it useful. I cannot find a way to make this show as a list or wrap the titles — is there one?

No there is currently no way to display the item list instead of grid view when using a link in Markdown.

I can file a feature request, but can’t promise if and when it would be implemented.

Thanks, Bullfrog. Can you recommend any a workaround for my situation? Maybe I’m simply not understanding the best way to work in DTTG. Here’s my setup:

• I have a database for a worksite
  • I have a group for each project, where I spend most of my time working on the project
  • I keep the worksite notes all in a dedicated notes group, as meetings and reference materials often pertain to more than one project
  • I have a tag for the project that I use mostly to see project notes, but also for files related to that project that are not within the project group
  • I want to be able to pull up the related notes and docs without leaving the project group

One thing I thought of doing was to create replicants for each doc that currently I am tagging. This is a bit inefficient from a capture perspective and I’m also concerned about the huge amounts of space I’d end up wasting (am I correct that in iOS, all replicants are full docs in the file system?).

Any suggestions on a better way to organize in DTTG?

Replicants consume no extra space. They are instances of a file with none of the instances being considered the original unless the other replicants are deleted.

How about opening the specific tag group in a new window then opening a window fully?

Here I have the project folder open in one window and the Tags group open in another window.

Thanks BullFrog. The second window was something I tried, but it was quite clunky for my workflow. But, through all of this, and knowing more about replicants, I’ve decided to sort of flip my system. I will now have a group for notes for each project, and a tack for worksite notes. I’ll tag the notes groups, so I can use the tag to see everything together when I need the highest level view. Where a note pertains to multiple projects, I’ll replicate it to the other groups.

I actually think this will improve my workflow, so a good thing I ran into these issues :slight_smile:

It’s often good to stop and assess what we’re doing and stumbling blocks are good ways to make us stop stubbing our toes and go around the other way :slight_smile: