getting a document out of the dtp2 format

I accidentally imported a scrivener file and I was wondering if anyone might know how I can get it out of the dtp2 format. Also curious about that with pdfs.

Thanks.
D

There is no dtp2 format for documents-documents that are imported into a database retain their default file format. You can drag and drop documents out of the database into the Finder, or export documents using the options available in the File>Export menu.

…also, if you want to prove to yourself how DEVONthink stores a document in its native format, as Greg wrote, click Data > Show in Finder, or the same action in the contextual menu, and Finder will open with a view inside the DEVONthink database where that document is stored. (Don’t modify anything in that view – use DEVONthink for import/export as Greg advised.)

Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions converts the file back to it’s original format. It was a Scrivener file, now it’s a Devonthink file. Dragging nad dropping leaves it as DTP2 and exporting only allows for a limited range of options like text etc.

I’m just going to go into time machine and grab the file before I had imported it.

Are you locating this ‘document’ from the database, or from a Finder/Spotlight search? It sounds like you are searching for the document using Spotlight. DEVONthink does not convert documents to a different format, although if you have your database set to create an index for Spotlight searches (File>Database Properties…>Create Spotlight Index), DEVONthink does create a metadata dtp2 document for every document in the database. This is not the same as the document, nor is it a conversion of the document-it is only a pointer to the document in the Spotlight index. Even if you delete the dtp2 document from the Finder, the original Scrivener document will still be in the database.

Finder Info Panel for the Spotlight index document linked to a 3MB Scrivener document in a database.

Double-clicking a .dtp2 file will open the original document in a DEVONthink preview window – command-r will then reveal the file in its group in the database, from where it can be exported or dragged out, as Greg described.