Getting started (again)

Dear,

after switching to a Mac, I am also looking into changing my DMS.
Currently, I am using ecoDMS as my personla DMS and have roughly 5.000 documents in it - with an extensive folder structure.

Knowing this, I have the following questions that would help me to getting clearer on whether DevonThink is the right tool for me (which I believe…)

[1]: Currently, I am adding files from the scanner as TIFF files which are OCR-processed and converted to PDF files. From the forum I learned that you are suggesting to import them as PDF directly. Do you see any implications with this?

[2]: With ecoDMS, I am able to add a bunch of different documents using seperator pages to seperate these and ecoDMS will split them up. Is something comparable thinkable with DT (for not having to scan documents seperately)?

[3]: Can I scan additional pages to a document (this refers to the “backsides” of documents)?

[4]: The most important part for me: Is there any way to add the 5.000 documents to DT without needing to manually change the respective dates/ tags or anything else - how much can be done automatically and how?

[5]: Currently DT3 is in a public beta. If I decide for buying the program today - will I receive a key for DT2 or DT3?

Apart from these questions, I am always thankful for any hint on what I should pay a certain attention.

Thank you for your support and for sharing your stories.

Best regards,

Philip

[1]: Currently, I am adding files from the scanner as TIFF files which are OCR-processed and converted to PDF files. From the forum I learned that you are suggesting to import them as PDF directly. Do you see any implications with this?

I’m not sure where you’re reading the suggestion, but image files can be imported and OCR’d in Pro and Server. In fact, you can use File > Import > Images (with OCR) too. If you do OCR before import, that’s acceptable as well.

[2]: With ecoDMS, I am able to add a bunch of different documents using seperator pages to seperate these and ecoDMS will split them up. Is something comparable thinkable with DT (for not having to scan documents seperately)?

Are you referring to splitting them when scanning?

The Import sidebar > Image Capture > Queue allows you to set a separator of Page Count or Blank Page when scanning inside DEVONthink with a compatible scanner.

[3]: Can I scan additional pages to a document (this refers to the “backsides” of documents)?

If you scan to Scans & Images, you can add those pages to a document in Documents and save the document at a later time.

Also, PDFs can be merged later.

[4]: The most important part for me: Is there any way to add the 5.000 documents to DT without needing to manually change the respective dates/ tags or anything else - how much can be done automatically and how?

Its unclear what tag data you’re referring to. If the tags are proprietary to ecoDMS, then it’s likely they’ll be discarded. If you can export the files with the metadata, it’s possible they’ll be preserved.
This would be easily tested without having to import all the files.

[5]: Currently DT3 is in a public beta. If I decide for buying the program today - will I receive a key for DT2 or DT3?

DEVONthink 3, though the key will work with DEVONthink 2 at this time.

This was a suggestion from the „old“ community. So - according to your feedback, it should make no difference on whether it is a TIFF or PDF file, is this assumption right?

After investigating with ecoDMS, the export gives you an XML file, including all additional data (which is in ecoDMS language the document date, the folder and subfolder as well as the document type). I need to get some hands on the XML file to evaluate it‘s structure. Therefore - which would be the right tool to import the data along with the documents? I have read about Hazel - or can it be done directly within DT?

Thank you in advance,
best regards,

Philip

Yes. JPG, PNG, and TIFF have always been supported for OCR.

DEVONthink will not import and scrape an XML file into individual entries. It would likely be possible to script but there’s nothing built in for such a situation.

If you can export a subset, you could send the XML to us to assess. In DEVONthink, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

1 Like

Thank you - I will do so.
And thank you for your feedback!