Global Inbox Missing on Install

My Global Inbox is missing on installation of new devonthink v2 beta 7

I am using snow leopard

It should be always automatically created. Please check permissions/ownership of ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox and of ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Inbox.dtBase2 (or delete them if they’re empty).

Hi! I’m setting up DevonThink Pro for 1st time. (Using the TakeControl manual, BTW!)

RE: Global Inbox: In the Help => Install Add-ons menu, the checkboxes for Contextual Menu Plugin and Global Inbox in Save Dialogs are grayed out, not available. The other checkboxes ARE, however, available, and checked. …

As suggested in this Forum Thread, I looked in App Support folder and opened the Info menu for the two Inbox files, and tried making their permissions fully available (777), but that did not help. So I switched them back to the way I found them (755). So, what should they be set at? …

Also, I was not sure if I should delete those two App Support Inbox files or not, as I did not exactly understand your instructions to the original poster in this thread. (I’m always afraid to delete things I’m not sure about.)

I then had some problems Quitting then re-opening DevonThink – the databases would not open and they stayed under the Recent Databases heading instead of under Open Databases. I also got the below message at start up of DevonThink:

The database you are trying to open seems to be either in use by another instance of DevonThink Pro or has not been closed properly the last time it was used. Press 'Continue' to open the database anyway if you are sure it is not in use by another copy of DEVONthink Pro.

I clicked cancel and that did not help. I searched for extra DevonThink apps in Activity Monitor, and found none. Then, after several more attempts to Quit then reopen DevonThink, I finally got my two databases back (I think I clicked Continue, even though I had not found those mythical already open databases), and they are now back under the Open Databases heading, where they should be. …

But when I went back to the Install Add-ons menu, the checkboxes I need for contextual menus and Global Inbox are still grayed out.

Any Suggestions ??? … Thanks for any help you can provide.
Take Care,
David

Does the left Sidebar (View > Show Sidebar) display the Global Inbox? If so, it’s installed. Nothing to worry about. LIkewise for the Finder plugin. It’s OK.

The “in use” message can be triggered by another copy of the application attempting to access the database (one must give special care to this when using DropBox), OR by the database not having been properly closed when previously opened, because, e.g., of a System or application crash, a power failure, use of Force Quit, etc. After opening the database, it’s a good idea to run Tools > Verify & Repair to check for possible problems.

Screen shot 2013-08-08 at 4.23.01 PM.pngI’m glad I’m not the only one having trouble understanding how to make this work!

First, I should tell you that I found three (3) DT folders in the Library (see attached). I also found the folder in DT2 called “INBOX”. I forgot to check the permissions but, I deleted the file (hope this was the correct thing to do, if not, I haven’t emptied TRASH).

My first thought is, part of my issues may stem from a confusion of there being too many files of DT and the software not knowing which one to look in.

The file named “Inbox.dtBase2” within ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/ is the Global Inbox database. As Christian noted, you may delete that file if it is empty, and it will be replaced when you launch the DEVONthink application.

Don’t delete files by guess. :slight_smile: