Global Inbox Password/Encryption

Hi,

I think I’m missing something. I’m unable to set a password/encrypt my global inbox as it is greyed out. What am I doing wrong? Can the global inbox be encrypted? I see the password field but can’t update so I’m assuming there is something that I’m doing wrong here. Thanks in advance for your help…

The password in File > Database Properties does not encrypt a database, it is only used while synchronizing and has to be entered before importing the database on other devices. However, the global inbox doesn’t support this.

Thanks for your reply. So that begs the question; are things in the Global Inbox then synced in the clear and on the sync server in the clear. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

The credentials for a database have nothing to do with the state of sync data. That’s handled by whether you’ve specified an encryption key when you set up the sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync.

The Global Inbox can’t have credentials attached, so you aren’t required to enter them if you import the database to another device running DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go. For other databases you want to import, you’ll need to enter those credentials.