Global inbox sync and database name

Hi all,

I have a number of files stored in my global inbox on DT2G that won’t transfer to my mac after syncing. Also, I recently changed the name of my database but it’s not reflected in the app. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. In case it’s relevant, I recently upgraded to DTPro3 (though this has been an issue for some months). Thanks!!

• You changed the name of the database where?
  • You changed it in DEVONthink 2 or 3?

I changed it in 3 under database properties

And you’re not seeing it reflected where?

Did you rename it in the Navigate sidebar? If so, this is an issue that should be addressed in the next maintenance release.

I’m not seeing it reflected in the DEVONthink to go app on my iPhone. I changed it by clicking file > database properties and then changing the name.

I am not seeing an issue where. Changing the name in File > Database Properties or in DEVONthink To Go’s Info popup for a database.

It is possible your sync is interrupted or stalled.

• Is there anything reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?

• Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, touch it and tell me what it reports.

Nothing reported in the log and no triangle in the app. It’s worth mentioning that documents added on my mac still show up on the app. But since global inbox is not transferring and the database name is not changing there does appear to be some kind of stall or interruption…

Yes it is quite possible iCloud has stalled - a condition over which we have no control, nor can we even detect it. This is espcially true since Apple has was messing about with iCloud for iOS 13 and macOS Catalina. We can’t reproduce this issue, and some have said it “just started working!”

Here are a few things people have said “worked” , though we obviously can’t test it since we can’t reproduce it. I would try them individually…

• Reboot the problematic device(s).
  • In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync , disable the iCloud location and quit the application. Relaunch DEVONthink and re-enable the sync location again.
  • In iOS’ Settings > your Apple ID > iCloud , try disabling and re-enabling iCloud Drive and DEVONthink .
  • In iOS’ Settings > your Apple ID , sign out of iCloud and sign back in.

Okay, following the second option I discovered that my dropbox sync somehow disappeared. Not sure whether this happened when upgrading or earlier. I recreated the sync and now everything is working perfectly!

Also, in case anyone run’s into the following issue, when messing around with things I created an iCloud sync on my Mac and later removed it, only to have the DT app repeatedly fill up my storage even after turning off its links and deleting its data on my phone. Turns out I had to go back to the iCloud option, check it, clean the location, and then remove it again. Seems to have resolved the issue.

I’ve read this assertion that you can’t detect it when iCloud stalls but surely you could. A periodically updated time stamp in an ancillary file created by each sync participant would make it obvious to the other apps as soon as iCloud stalled. That would be a useful diagnostic.