"Go to Folder" Shortcut

I often find myself in the situation that I want to open a specific (nested) folder with Devonthink. I try to use the keyboard as much as possible. I was not able to find a shortcut or a script that allows me to open a specific folder for the currently open database.

I guess I’m searching for something similar as the “Move to…” script which I use heavily (it can be found here: blog.devontechnologies.com/2014/ … -keyboard/)

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

1 Like

There isn’t such a mechanism. How many groups are you talking about?

Currently I have around 25 Top Level Groups with 0-10 Nested Groups in them. The contents in the groups are organized in a way which allows me to find things pretty easy without the need for a search.

Example: I have a group “contracts” with the subgroups “work contracts”, “lease contracts”, “memberships” and so on. These subgroups may also have subgroups sometimes like “company A” and “company B” in the “work contracts” subgroup.

Now let’s assume I know I want to browse through my contracts, a keyboard shortcut for “jumping” directly to a specific group would help me a lot when I already know I want to reveal the “contracts” group.

To illustrate it a bit more, something similar to the Omnifocus 2 CMD+O shortcut would be totally awesome.

If this is not available in Devonthink by default, would there be a way to script such an behavior?

Thanks!

I use DEVONthink Pro Office, and this is exactly what I am looking for, too.

This shortcut would be similar to the “Go To Folder…” shortcut command in the macOS Finder.

I often know exactly which Group I want to go to in an open Database, and this would be so quick and easy. Instead, I have to visually find the Group in the nested list (which is well-organized, but still…) and manually select it.

Please add me to the list of those that will benefit greatly by adding this functionality to DEVONthink Pro Office.

And if I am missing something, please enlighten me.

Thanks.

1 Like

To elaborate a little…

I know that, when in the Groups list, you can begin typing a Group name and it will jump to the first Group name in the list that begins with the letters just typed.

However, you cannot then go to the next Group that begins with the same letters (if the first Group encountered is not the one you need). And you cannot go to a Group name that contains those letters (only one that begins with those letters).

Improving the ability to search for and go to a string of characters in a Group name would be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ll consider this for upcoming releases.

This isn’t what you asked for, but it does something like what you’re looking for.

This willl be a very useful function and I strongly want it.

If you use Alfred, this workflow works well for me:

alfredforum.com/topic/10630 … le-action/

This is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing the workflow!