Got DT 3; can't open DTPO 2, can't find things

I upgraded to DT 3 without realizing it would terminate my access to DTPO 2.11.3. I can’t seem to find my inbox, and without access to DTPO I don’t know the names of my various sync stores. Help!

What do you mean by your access to DTPO2 is terminated? If you mean DTPO2 has told you your license has expired, you can use the license details you were provided with for DT3 to get back into DTPO2.

The inbox is not transferred between DT2 and DT3. If you search the forum you will find various ways to copy the inbox (IIRC you can copy the appropriate data without using DT2 if necessary).

Again IIRC you should not actively use DT2 and DT3 on the same databases on the same device.

@Blanc is correct that it is not advocated to run 2 and 3 at the same time, on the same account.

I can’t seem to find my inbox

As of DEVONthink public beta 6, the Global Inbox should be copied over from DEVONthink 2.

and without access to DTPO I don’t know the names of my various sync stores.

If you are referring to purchasing DEVONthink 3, the license will work for DEVONthink 2 for the time being.

However, if you are transitioning completely to DEVONthink 3, you can…

1. Quit DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2.
  2. In the Finder, hold the Option key and choose Go > Library.
  3. In the Application Support folder, move the Cloudy folder and the Inbox.dtBase2 file from the DEVONthink Pro 2 folder to the DEVONthink 3 folder, overwriting the existing items, if prompted.
  4. Launch DEVONthink 3.
  5. In the Finder, do a Spotlight search for kind:database dtBase2 to locate any separate DEVONthink databases. Select the Show all in Finder in the righthand pane to allow easy access to them.
  6. Drag and drop the databases to DEVONthink’s dock icon to open them in DEVONthink 3.
  7. After you have your desired databases open, quit DEVONthink 3.

For cleanup, at a minimum, you can delete the DEVONthink Pro Office application.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was going to go back to DTPO2 for now, and I removed DT3 from my computer. I successfully used my DT3 license code to open DTPO2 BUT it won’t open any of my DT2 databases. I think this is because at some point I tried to open them in DT3. Do I need to just migrate completely to DT3 at this point? I need my databases!!

I successfully used my DT3 license code to open DTPO2 BUT it won’t open any of my DT2 databases.

Please clarify what is actually happening.

I removed DT3, thinking that I wouldn’t upgrade to it till it was out of beta. As you suggested, I was then able to use the current DT3 code to open DTPO2.11.3. But I couldn’t open any of my databases. If I look at “Recent Databases” in the file menu, they are all greyed out. If I go to any of the databases directly, they are not greyed out, but they simply don’t open. If it helps, I see that many of the individual documents, when I see them in the Finder, have the DT3 icon, though the databases themselves still show the DTPO2 icon.

Do I need to go back to DT3, and will it open my DTPO2 databases?

Thanks!

Do I need to go back to DT3, and will it open my DTPO2 databases?

No… and yes.

Do a Spotlight search for kind: database dtBase2 and select Show all in Finder in the results. Then double-click the databases to open them in DEVONthink.

Note: There is no change in the file format for DEVONthink databases from 2.x to 3.x.

That’s exactly what I did that didn’t work. Maybe I should reinstall DTPO3? Or go back to 3. I think when I was uninstalling things I might have uninstalled too much.

Sorry, that should have read “Or go back to 2? “ (not 3)

How were you uninstalling things?

And are your backups current (just in case)?

Backups current (one of my few obsessions!)
I used an uninstaller, and tried to guess at which files to include and not include. That’s why I think maybe I just need to totally uninstall and reinstall.