groups/tags question

Am I correct that I can’t search recursively in groups, nor can I do a search to find out what articles are shared by two groups? So if I wanted to see state legislation in Alabama, and I have a document in both of those groups, there’s no way to determine what documents are in both?

Am I also correct that if I use the tag system, I won’t get the AI benefits of grouping? So I won’t be able to use see also and classify to identify other like documents?

Just making sure I’m understanding the system correctly. Thank you!

The search field doesn’t limit itself to a particular group unless In Selection is chosen under the magnifying glass, or the Search In dropdown in Tools > Search is set to a specific group.
Showing the Location column in the search results, shows where documents are.

Are you using Replicants?

If you’re not grouping files, ie. just using Tags, the AI isn’t going to create groups for you. The AI needs to see groups and contents of documents in them in order for it to make classification suggestions.
See Also doesn’t require groups as it’s just making connections between the contents of documents.

Yes, using replicants. So can I choose more than one group when I use “in selection” or “search in”?

No, this isn’t possible. If you want to see where other replicants reside, this is visible in Tools > Show Info…

I’ll use this thread as it is the closest to answer a related question I had. Please forgive me if the answer is obvious, beginner here.

Am I correct that you cannot search a combination of tags “on the fly,” that is using the search field in the toolbar? I understand that you can create a smart group or use the search window for that, but I’m just looking for a quick way of doing this (something like a search syntax like "tag:alabama AND tag:“state legislation”)

If it’s not possible, can someone suggest why you would use tags at all? If there are essentially groups but the AI can’t use their content to use “see also” or “classify,” I can’t see why you would use tags over groups, in addition to groups, or in combination with groups. This is a genuine question: before I start tagging everything, I’d like to make sure it will have a purpose.

Correct. That is currently not possible, but may be in a future release.

Because Tags are useful for context outside simple organizational structures like groups. Also, Tags generally relate to content. You could tag something, hobbies and woodworking, but have it filed in a group named “Stuff”.

Also, smart groups can be used to create virtual folders based on tags, just as you can in the Finder. You may have financial documents tagged taxes and 2017 and have a smart group that exposes those files in one place, regardless of where they’re actually filed.

So Tags aren’t just for searching. They are also for data segregation.

As a caution: I wouldn’t plan on starting to “tag everything”. Tag as it makes sense to you and see how it feels and how useful it proves to you. Don’t just use it because you can or because you read “you should”, etc. Despite any dogma you may hear, there is no “one approach” to tagging, not is it necessarily useful to everyone. You need to put your toe in and see if you actually want to wade in deeper.