I have imported my whole digital archive I have collected in 12 years, and so far, I am happy with what DT does with it. But there is a problem: In most of these 12 years, I was a Windows user ( [size=85]I was young and needed the money…[/size]), and so a lot of what I have collected from the net was saved using the Internet Explorer.
Explication: The Internet Explorer used (I’m not up to date on how it’s handled today) to save a webpage by saving the HTML-file plus a subfolder that contained all images etc.
So, the typical structure for a webpage named “Important Information” would be:
FILE Important Information.htm
FOLDER Important Information-Files
- etc. whatever…
Because I just imported this stuff into my DT database, I have a lot of subfolders now. Not nice, but the real problem is that DT does not display these webpages correctly - I suppose because the HTML-file looks for images in a subfolder that is not really there. And because images sometimes carry information, I have to do something about it.
So. The clean solution would be to use only web-archives. When I open the original file with Safari, everything works fine, and I could save the thing as a web-archive. But I have about 220 categories, around 60.000 files… It’s impossible to do all this by hand!
I stared on Automator until blood dropped from my forehead, but I found no way to establish some kind of automatic conversion process. (Every time I give Automator a try, the action I’d need are missing… )
I have zero experience in Applescript; I can only imagine that it must be possible to let the computer do this by itself: Take an old IE-saved webpage and replace it by a web-archive.
Any hints, any comments welcome!
P.S.: Of course this has not to be done in DT itself. I’d export everything, make the conversion and recreate the database from scratch by importing everything.