Hazel can't find Devonthink's Global InBox

I have Hazel procedures that in Devonthink 2 transferred files to Devonthink’s Global InBox. These procedures have stopped working in Devonthink 3, and Hazel tells me it can’t find the Global InBox now. Where is it located now?

I’m sure this is a trivial matter, but after an hour or so’s searching, I haven’t found the answer.

Both versions of DEVONthink have their own Global Inboxes. Hazel on your Mac is probably set to the old, maybe deleted Global Inbox of DT 2.

You can find the Global Inbox of DT 3 in [youraccountname]/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/.

If you have set DT 3 to add its Global Inbox to the Finder’s sidebar you can pick it right from there in Hazel. Just make sure it really is the Inbox of version 3 and not 2.

If you let Hazel watch just one folder—say, the Download folder—to move files from to DT you might consider not using Hazel at all but let DT index that folder and process the files with its own smart rules.

1 Like

Also, if you’re moving to DEVONthink 3, you shouldn’t have both DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2 and reboot the machine.

1 Like

Can I please ask is it best to just drag DEVONthink 2 to the trash or is it better to use a software removal program like Clean My Mac?

We do not advocate the use of any uninstaller applications as they often do unexpected things or people press OK without looking at or understanding the items being detected for deletion.

To do a deeper clean when moving from DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2 to DEVONthink 3…
Note: While it is not a prerequisite, we strongly recommend making sure your proper primary backups are current before starting this process.

Trash the following files and folders, noting the tilde (~) signifies the User Library:

• DEVONthink Pro (Office) application
  • ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2
    Note:
    • If you have put databases (.dtBase2 files), other than the Inbox.dtBase2 file, in this folder, you should move them to the Databases folder in your Home directory.
    • If you have created custom templates or scripts, you can move Templates.noindex and Scripts to your Desktop before deleting this directory. You could then later add those resources to the appropriate folders in the DEVONthink 3 Application Support folder.
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2.*
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/Scripts/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific workflows in ~/Library/Workflows/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/PDF Services/
  • DEVONthink related Bookmarklets from your web browser
  • The Inbox in the sidebar of your Finder windows
  • Delete the DEVONthink Sorter from System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items, if present.

Then reboot the machine.

2 Likes

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply. Much appreciated.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: