Help! DT crash, lost document

DT crashed and took with it an RTF document that I’d been working on for over two days. When I restarted DT, the version of the RTF document was at least 24 hours old. Is there any way I can recover a more recent version??? This represents SO much work . . . .

Thanks for any help anyone can offer . . .

Question: Have you ever saved the document? DEVONthink 1.9.x flushes all saved documents to disk every 3 minutes.

I’ve already forwarded the e-mail you have sent parallel to this posting to Christian. He will contact you on details.

Best,

Eric.

Yes, I had saved it so that it recovered the version I had last saved. But I added a lot between the last time I saved and when DT crashed. Thanks!

Hi,

I remember having made the same experience like you in the beginning, it is sad but sometimes happens. Just remember to save manually your text or rtf documents you are working on, I got used to it and do this without even thinking. I wish there was a preference in DT like in every word processor that would allow for automatic backup of open documents ( in an extra window ).

Best,
Maria

Like with any “normal” document in the file system, you changes are lost when you don’t save them from time to time. The database is flushed automatically, but you have to tell DEVONthink that you want to save your changes to the database.

But, as Maria suggested, we’ll think about an auto-save option for text documents that should solve this problem in the future.

Best,

Eric.

You might want to “think about” an autosave option pretty seriously. Either that or build software that doesn’t crash spontaneously. Also, many weeks ago I had emailed about the fact that wiki links don’t work as advertised and was told that a new version would be out within a week–it hasn’t appeared yet.

If this was free software, I’d understand that there are “glitches,” but I paid for this . . .

I can’ find your e-mail, could you please send it to me again so that I can check if we have addressed this problem already or not?

Best,

Eric.

Hi,

everybody who knows how hard it is to put ideas into text for hours, and then loosing it in one second, can understand that you are angry. Still, I cannot agree in the statement that DT crashes spontaneously, and I know there are many more – even beta testers – who would agree that DT is incredibly stable. Some of us have bad experiences with an old CPNotebook plugin, which caused several crashes of DT, on my computer as well. Since I deleted that months ago there were no crashes any more, and I do not hear about different experiences.

You could either check the crash log of DT yourself or send it to the developer, who is very responsive and would either tell you whether there are problems with apps that use hacks, or whether there is a bug in DT.

I hope you will enjoy the app after your anger is vanished,

best,
Maria

DT is a great app, I’ll be the first to say it, but it can’t crash without offering a backup of documents in progress. And it does crash spontaneously–not often but more than any other app I run. All it takes is the loss of a significant amount of work once for it to be a risky app to use. I’d love to figure out if it’s just my setup, though. Where is the crash log?

Thanks.

In ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. Send it to support@devon-technologies.com and we’ll have a closer look at what happened.

Best,

Eric.