Help! How to limit search within smart group

Hi all–I’m coming back to DevonThink after a 12-year hiatus due to family illness. I’ve upgraded my app and am thankfully able to access my old databases. Here’s my dilemma–I have a smart group labeled “To Do” that contains documents from all of my databases–there are 1431 entries overall. I want to limit my search of items in the smart group to those from a single large document (which contains subdocuments). When I try entering the document name into the search field, I still get a list of all 1431 items. I’m obviously missing something simple and critical. I’ve checked earlier posts and can’t seem to figure out what to do.

Welcome back!

from a single large document (which contains subdocuments).

There are no documents that contain subdocuments in DEVONthink. Can you clarify what you’re referring to? Thanks.

Sorry, Bluefrog–I got my terminology mixed up. What I meant was groups that contain documents. But I think I’m finding my way around here–I thought that documents contained in a smart group were separate from documents in other groups, but I found that each document in my To Do group also existed (or maybe is just the same document) within another group in the same parent group in that database (when I edit one, the edits appear on the other). And the To Do Group, being a smart group, also contains documents from other databases. Believe me, it’s a steep learning curve when you’ve been away for over a decade and you’re that much older. Thank you for your help and I’ll do my best to figure out what I’m doing before posting again. :wink:

1 Like

No worries and feel free to ask questions as needed. We’re here to help. :slight_smile: