Help with a workflow where files are stored in an external SSD and I need to annotate with DEVONthink To Go

Hi everyone!

I want to try DEVONthink To Go, but here is the thing:

DEVONthink indexes the files I have in an external SSD plugged to my MacBook with a USB-C cable, most of them are scientific articles that are in PDF. I wish to annotate and comment them using DEVONThink to go, but I guess there’s no way it will access my files because they are not in a cloud drive.

What can I do? Should I momentarily send the files from the external SSD to my iCloud and then send them back annotated to the SSD? If yes, would Hazel be helpful doing that?

Thanks!

How about creating a database of the files you want on DTTG and then syncing that to an iCloud sync store?

Would I need to download the files locally to my iPad? I use PaperPile as a reference manager, so everything is stored automatically in a Google Drive folder. What I do currently is I download them, Hazel moves them to my external SSD and then DEVONthink indexes them.

If I download them locally to my iPad, then I would need to upload them to an iCloud folder and move them to my SSD while at the same time I guess Hazel removes them from iCloud.

Is this the workflow you suggested? Maybe I got it wrong.

You are making it way more complex than necessary

Welcome @Juls

Even if your files are in a cloud drive, DEVONthink To Go cannot access them. DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go work with their own local databases.

If I download them locally to my iPad, then I would need to upload them to an iCloud folder and move them to my SSD while at the same time I guess Hazel removes them from iCloud.

No you wouldn’t.

You said files are indexed in DEVONthink on the Mac (and I hope you’ve read up on indexing before you commtted to it).
The files are synced to DEVONthink To Go where you can annotate them.
Those changes are synced back to DEVONthink which is pointing at the original files indexed locally on your Mac.

Thanks! I downloaded it and synched with iCloud (Cloudkit) and everything seems to be working as expected.

Yeah I saw, it was because I had never worked with the mobile app and didn’t know if it was going to work for me.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

See your other thread. Best not to post same question multiple places, please.

1 Like

No, Bonjour does not require a physical connection. It is a network protocol on top of TCP/IP and UDP. As such, it runs over wires and over WLAN. Just not across networks, much like DHCP.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!