Help with encrypted database

I recently decided to create an encrypted database to store some more sensitive information. However, after moving stuff in and so on, that database now refuse to open anymore (DTP version 3.9). I can see the .sparseimage in the finder, mount that .sparseimage to the desktop (so password is good!) and I can even ask the finder to show the content of the mounted database in the finder where I can see and open all of my files from the finder but I cannot get DevonThink to open the database (either from Devon or or with a right click from the finder).

Please help.

  1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. Change the database file’s extension to .dtSparse.
  3. Double-click to open it again.

Note: the database would only be left with a .sparseimage extension if DEVONthink crashed, the machine powered off, or you force quit it. Which of these may have occurred?

I did have a computer crash (due to an application that is not DT). That being said renaming the extension still does not work:

  • I see the database name doubling for a few second in the recent database list when trying to open
  • the database does not open and the second name disappear
  • the database extension revert to .sparseimage

Again, I can open the sparseimage file in the finder no problem.

Luc

The extension is indeed changed when encrypted databases are opened but that’s expected.

But it is not opening…I cannot see it in my open database list.

Did you follow the steps outlined by @BLUEFROG or did you simply rename the DB and then restart DT, where you can’t see the database?

I changed the extension name to .dtSparse as described by @BLUEFROG (after having quit DT obviously).

I am starting to wonder if the computer crash corrupted the database. I did a test where I mounted the sparse image on the desktop, copied the database to it (nor protected anymore) and open it with DT. It had to go through a full reconstruction of the database. Still, I would have expected DT to still open the sparseimage and simply ask for recovery/reconstruction as I did manually…

And did you

? If so, what happened? If not, why?

Exactly as I have written in my first reply to @BLUEFROG . Still does:
"

  • I see the database name doubling for a few second in the recent database list when trying to open
  • the database does not open and the second name disappear
  • the database extension revert to .sparseimage
    "

If I double click directly on the Mac (folder where the .dtSparse sits): DT starts, the extension change to .sparseimage and nothing happens in DT.

What is reported in Window > Log?

My system is in French but I see no entry in the “Journal” window and I see briefly “opening…” in the Activity window but the database is not opening.

Use File > New Window. Do you see the database ?

Nope!

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

Done.

Note that I was able to reimport the database by dragging it out of the sparseimage and perform a reconstruction. So I have not lost anything.

That well may be, but the database would also be unencrypted at this point.

1 Like

I think I found the bug, which was at 12 inches of the keyboard…

The database size was 2.1 GB once all files were transfered, while at creation I asked for 2048 MB. So while there was no error message when I transferred the file to the encrypted database, it refuses to open afterward.

I remade the database with 5GB and everything looks good!

Thanks for the follow-up. And yes, making sure the encrypted database is of sufficient size is a critical part of the process.

1 Like