Helter Skelter Web Page Imports in DT2

Well it seems that DT2 has every option, but it is just the methods of executing these that are a little helter skelter. I’ve listed the methods I’ve figured out, so let me know if there are others.

1. Import whole page web archive
    a. Use Archive Bookmarklet or
    b. Select all and use service Capture Web Archive

2. Import selection as web archive
    a. Make selection and use service Capture Web Archive

3. Import whole page as RTF/RTFD
    a. Select all, and drag selection into DT2 or
    b. Select all, and use service Take Rich Note

4. Import selection as RTF/RTFD
    a. Make selection, and drag selection into DT2 or
    b. Make selection, and use service Take Rich Note

5. Import whole page as Plain Text
    a. Select all, and use service Take Plain Note or
    b. Use bookmarklet Text

6. Import selection as Plain Text
    a. Make selection, and use service Take Plain Note or
    b. Use bookmarklet Selection

7. Import bookmark
    a. Drag link into DT2 or
    b. Use bookmarklet Bookmark

Discussion:
This can easily be cleaned up…

It seems to make things more consistent, the services and the bookmarklets should work on both whole page and selection. It is really odd that the services require a selection. Both the services and bookmarklets should check for a selection which is easy to do, and if there is no selection, then import the whole page. With this you would need only 4 bookmarklets.
Bookmark, and then Archive, Rich, & Text where each would either import the whole page or a selection if a selection existed. Services would work the same.

Also, the dragging functionality should be user defined in preferences.
Dragging the link options should be. (Currently bookmark)
bookmark, webarchive, rich text, or plain text.
Dragging a selection options should be… (Currently Rich Text)
webarchive, rich text, or plain text.

Great post! This is one of the reasons why I wanted to move to Together. I would have moved to Together if not for the slow search performance and the lack of intelligent recommendations.

What Together really shines in is the tagging and import ease. Together also uses a shelf as one way to import stuff. In my opinion, drag and drop is much easier and less disruptive to my workflow. I would love to be able to drag a URL to the shelf inbox and have DevonThink create a webarchive for me.

Beside that, checking for a selection should definatly be used. ALL bookmarklets I use today (tumblr, diigo, delicious) have this functionality, i.e. they recognize if I have something selected or not.

I agree with eatmytag re: Together. Good ui, great shelf, slow search, and no AI. So I’m still using both for different reasons, and hoping later tweaks in DT 2.0 beta make it possible to use only one.