Highlighting in DTP3 vs DTPO2

I’d be interested too. I think BTT is a nice util and it might be nice to explore it as a supplemental tool for our user base.

Go have a look here and here – these two posts are what I used to get a basic version installed, that I then tweaked.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. That is sexy indeed! :heart_eyes::blush:

1 Like

Thank you! This is great. I look forward to playing with it.

1 Like

Figured I would share the below screengrab, for those DT3 users who are heavy annotators, have KM, and an extended keyboard with numpad. So, for the 1%. :wink:

I hadn’t realised that KM knows the difference between numpad keys, and main main keyboard numeral keys. Heard it first via Brett Terpstra – saw it care of MacSparky’s KM Field-Guide.

I do occasionally use the numpad in the ‘ordinary’ course of working inside DT3, but that most regularly occurs within .txt / .rft files, so I added the If>then>else proviso, to try and limit where the trigger kicks in.

Given that I have a Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt keyboard that comes with a separate BT-dongle numpad, I can now highlight my PDFs with the left hand on the trackpad, selecting the text, with my right hand on the numpad > and simply tapping/toggling between numbers 0-7, to have one of my 7 highlight colours applied.

The nerd in me is in rapture. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As I personally hate suggesting dependencies, i.e. things you need to buy or install to make things work - it should just work out-of-the-box - I rarely offer ideas like this to you all. However, it’s cool to explore such options. Nicely done!

1 Like

As someone who highlights a lot too….

Would be convenient to have a pop up with colors available.

Highlight> auto pop up colors then choose.

I have seen some apps have this ability.

Maybe one day!

1 Like

That is sexy indeed, but also slow. I don’t have a need to highlight quickly though, but it would be slower using a popup like that. :slight_smile:

Slower if you are a keyboard type of person ;). I’m a trackpad kinda of guy, so for me this is faster :wink:

I track a lot as well. I’m just playing nice with everyone :wink:

1 Like

Cassady, I’ve download BetterTouchTool, have you got a grab of your settings regarding how you’ve set that up with the highlights? Thanks!
Scrub that, I see you’ve put a grab, but it’s beyond my level.

I see a three finger click on a word brings up the dictionary. Would be nice if a three finger click on a section instead brought up the highlight colour palette.

I use a fixed two finger with 1 finger (left) tap, that works well.

Regarding the set-up – I wish I could be more help.
It requires playing around a bit with CSS/HTML files, that I hardly understand either – but I managed to dig around in it enough to get something going.

I downloaded a template uploaded here, and played around. Honestly though, I’m fairly certain that if I could hack something together, pretty much anyone could – since I was really poking around with zero clue as to what I was doing…
Have a look at this blog post [under the heading “Floating HTML Menu”, it is quite detailed, and walks one through all the steps required! Good luck!

it does not work for me. may it conflict with other apps ?

also, cmd+shift+L shortcut does not work for me.

after pressing the shortcut, I hear a short bang voice from mac.

The free ShortcutDetective app should show you if there’s another app that receives a shortcut.

1 Like

thanks mate.

the ShortcutDetective app can only detect the shortcuts of other apps besides DT3. when I am using DT3 and press any shortcuts, ShotcutDetective can’t detect them.

ShortcutDetective doesn’t detect any custom shortcuts from DEVONthink 3 here either.

ShortcutDetective only shows globally registered shortcuts. I use it to find the app that overwrites a shortcut in my active app. Or to see why e.g. an Alfred shortcut doesn’t work - most often it’s a Keyboard Maestro shortcut that overwrites Alfred.

Cassady,
Can you explain in detail how to set your little BTT-hack, for the floating palette?

Goodness — I missed this. Have you sorted this, or should I share what works my side still?

Recently had to “fix” it when transferring to the new Mac, so actually had to remember what I did, which I fortunately could work out again.