HotService

Hello

I don’t know if this is the right forum to ask this, if not pls tell me which is ok…

A customer with a PowerBook G4 10.4.x and a MacBook Pro tells me that he connot download files anymore on both computers, so I don’t think it is an Universal Binary problem.

In the console.log I find among other things (that probably are not relevant here) the following:

Safari[277]: [WSX] Welcome to the WSX:Cocoa (com.unknown.by-creator.0x4150504C.0x73667269)
2006-10-05 15:54:07.569 Safari[277] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/UserNamehere/Library/InputManagers/HotService/HotService.bundle/Contents/MacOS/HotService for bundle /Users/UserNamehere/Library/InputManagers/HotService/HotService.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())

I made a new user and can download files without probs.

Any hints?

TIA
Andreas

As HotService is not yet universal (and therefore not loaded at all on Intel Macs), something else has to cause the problem. It’s just a wild guess but disabling all input managers and all haxies might fix this.

Hot service causes Acrobat 8 to quit unexpectedly.

I guess Acrobat 8 is still a Carbon application but input managers (like HotService) are only loaded by Cocoa applications. Therefore I can’t even imagine how HotService could cause such a problem.

I do not either. I am not a developer, but what I noticed is that after removing HotService Acrobat was not quitting anymore. This is just my experience.

Got the same error
2006-12-15 21:59:51.339 DashboardClient[2181] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/zivkitaro/Library/InputManagers/HotService/HotService.bundle/Contents/MacOS/HotService for bundle /Users/zivkitaro/Library/InputManagers/HotService/HotService.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())

But stuff I get are strange: programs don’t load, programs run then stop.

How do I stop input managers?

Just remove HotService from ~/Library/InputManagers, then log out and in again (Acrobat seems to be the only application “deinitializing” menus on quit and requiring the initial order again :wink:)

I don’t see how HotService on an Intel Mac could cause problems. At startup the OS tries to load it and fails. So if it’s not loaded, it’s not there to cause problems. For the heck of it I installed it on my MacBook Pro. Didn’t cause any problems.

I’m still using Acrobat 7.

I’ve never been much of a fan of Adobe’s programming for the Mac. They never bother to try to provide all of the features available in the Windows version of Acrobat, even though most of them would be possible. Some of the programming, such as a plugin that was supposed to produce PDFs in Word, were awfully buggy.

And every time I do an Acrobat update the first thing I do is remove the Adobe viewer from Internet Plugins. It’s not necessary under Tiger and has caused problems.