How are indexed folders handled in DTTG

If, in DT3, I Index an folder instead of importing it, I understand that if in DT3 I create a new document in that folder I will also see it created in the indexed folder when I view it in Finder.

My question is what happens in DTTG if I create a document in that indexed folder using DTTG. Will it be created in the indexed folder natively and I will be able to see it in the Folders app right away, or does it first have to sync to DT3 and then DT3 will take care of making it appear in that folder when I view it in Finder and then I will be able to see it on the ipad using folders app.

There is no connection to the Mac or other iOS devices outside itself. (That is actually true for DEVONthink as well.) So no, if you create a file in DEVONthink To Go it will not magically appear in the Finder on the Mac unless you’ve synced the databases. If it’s an indexed group in DEVONthink, yes the file will be deconsolidated, i.e., move to the Finder folder, automatically.

Also not in the Folders app of the iPad?

Yes inside DTTG virtual folder, no from any other provider, even iCloud one.

What DT/DTTG do:

Create the folder inside DTTG, then synchronize into sync store. As iOS isolation, no application can read/write out of its own sandbox, that is the reason the created indexed folder inside and not in final destination.

Once desktop DT gets the changes from the sync store, as DT can externally modify, it creates new folder into real destination, and then the real destination is synchronized via its own means (dropbox, icloud, etc), and then it appears in all devices.

It is a little bit some kind of “magic”, and as with so complex stuff, you must be very careful not to make a mess.

@rfog

thanks for the explanation. It was intuitive to me that in order for changes made to a document while in DTTG will not show up accessing the file outside of DTTG until its synchronized to DT3 and DT3 will update the external file then that external file get synced to the iPad via iCloud or whatever mechanism.