I have been trying to find good ways to setup DB’s for various information in DT (in a database like setup) and it seams that I fail every time. It always feels there is no good way to do it; I desperately seeking some advice!
Let’s go with a prime example that is in front of me now… I want to setup a DB that specifically stores all documentation pertaining to several bank accounts. I want to store:
- Check Images
- Deposit Images
Seems simple, right? Couldn’t be more wrong… Let me walk through how I tried to setup and demonstrate how it fails and where the variables are, and HOPEFULLY someone can help me…
I setup group structure like so (for each given bank account):
ECT… for each bank account. This system fails completely because now I have multiple groups with the exact same name (all the years) which makes it impossible to correctly tag something. Also, I need to keep track of 5 bank accounts, so that would leave me with a truly MASSIVE amount of duplicate groups.
Now, I could just throw the documents in each given folder, and then “tag” each document with the years being “tags”, but this is also unhelpful. That is because I want to be able to see these groups at a glance and that setup would destroy this! Here is why:
- I don’t want to have to drill down every time using the Tags view
- yes I could create smart folders under each group, but this simply takes FOREVER in DT, and I have other databases where this is the exact same problem where I would have to create HUNDREDS of smart folders to accomplish this… that time investment completely defeats the point of using DT in the first place.
So how should I go about making this DB (or any other)?? I would really love to:
- have no groups with duplicated names
- still be able to quickly sort any document correctly by applying tags (either “groups” or literal “tags”, or both, I don’t care)
- be able to use the AI to auto classify things correctly as well
- have a birds eye view so I can quickly navigate the structure (ie go to Chase > Statements > 2010) without having to run a search.
I also realize I could make unique group names that include all relevant parents in EACH group name, but this also seems to defeat the point of nesting anything, and then the group names become ludicrously long and run off the screen. So there MUST be a way to accomplish what I am looking for with as powerful as DT is… please help! Any advice is useful here! Thanks!