How dangerous (to DT's own database integrity) might this be

That’s true. For DEVONthink it’s basically just junk, adding a third-party database doesn’t add any value. Actually chances are pretty good that the unknown database might be corrupted or data lost sooner or later if both apps are used concurrently and the DEVONthink database is synchronized.

1 Like

So one value of adding a FM database to DT would be syncing. FMP is terrible at that unless you pay big money. This may change in the near future, if I understand Claris’ plans correctly; but until now, it’s one of the many reasons why I often regret investing time in Filemaker.

As to FM and Time Machine, I’m not just talking about general rules. I’m talking about specific instructions from Claris not to allow TM backups. See, e.g. ClarisPKB. Now, the danger they seem to identify there is to the TM backup, not the FM database, but still.

Interesting, given that Claris belongs to Apple. I’d have imagined that they’d be able to make their products play nicely together.

Good to know. And as far as I can tell, syncing would be the only reason to put an FM database into DT.

Why not rely on the sync engine that DEVONthink uses, e.g. Dropbox, iCloud, etc. independent of DEVONthink?

I wouldn’t recommend that either for databases, especially not if used on multiple devices concurrently.

Agree completely, but if single user being “careful” doing something like this, e.g. closing the database app first. That being said, crack open the manual for the database app and read how to share with multiple users and/or machines, and if not covered, then … avoid.

But do not put FileMaker Pro database files into DEVONthink for purposes of syching or any other purpose unless failure and corruption not worried about.

I know, right? There is rather little ease of integration between FM and Apple products. I think it’s because Claris made a decision to take FM in the direction of a professional product, geared toward quick development of custom solutions by experienced FM developers, rather than a tool geared toward individual users.

Allowing a sync service — even Apple’s iCloud — to interfere with an open FM database is probably a bigger no-no than using Time Machine. I’ve seen very strong warnings about this.

I assume you realise I didn’t advocate syncing open databases… I’m advocating that you NOT put the database in DEVONthink to rely on DEVONthink to sync for you. That’s it.

Yes, thanks. I just wanted to make explicit the advice about not using even iCloud, just in case anyone else were to assume that this would be Ok since Apple owns Claris.

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s help, advice and comments here.

I fear I may not have explained myself properly each time I posted (and asked). So I’ll have a last shot at it:

I used to use - and really liked EagleFiler as a filing system.

It allowed me to store, categories and quickly locate, launch and use all the data files (not applications) according to the part of my life and work they pertained to…

• computers
  • computers/hardware
  • computers/software
  • computers/software/finance
  • computers/software/finance/checkbook
  • computers/software/finance/investment
  • literature
  • literature/drama
  • literature/drama/Renaissance
  • literature/drama/Renaissance/Shakespeare
  • literature/drama/Renaissance/Shakespeare/tragedy

etc.

I didn’t need to keep directories, aliases, subdirectories, manifests of su-sub-directories; I didn’t need to tag them, list them, hunt for them, use Spotlight to find them.

When I moved to DEVONthink, I discovered that its ability to tag, find, (‘hide’), replicate, maintain transparent categories, duplicate, colour-code, display, display the contents of my data files was even more sophisticated; was robust; was supported flawlessly and was the ideal place to file, keep, locate, display and categorise such data - again, for all areas of my life (almost)!

That’s all I want to do here: locate a FileMaker database pertaining to one area of interest of mine (actually Renaissance English drama) in the same place as I put all my other data - practically everything except my photos, music and MacFamily tree files.

No integration. No interaction. Just a clearly-labelled, easily-findable, well-organized robust, constantly maintained repository.

That’s all. And I have done so. To overcome my original worries, I have scripted it such that any dependent files will in fact be kept in ~/Documents/Data, that otherwise lonely and sparsely-populated folder on my ‘raw’ filesystem - because almost everything else is in DT :slight_smile:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, if it’s just an issue of categorization for ease of access (certainly a reasonable goal), why not index the FM file in DT rather than importing it? I would think that this would reduce or eliminate any risk of corrupting the FM database.

2 Likes

Not at all, @velaramon … I hope that most people get as much as I certainly do by exchanging ideas here and seeing how others - almost all of whom always know more than I do - use DT.

In this case, there’s no need for me to do as you kindly suggest: use an Indexed entry. the FMP file sits happily in its correct, nicely colour-coded, DT Group, nested and easy to find next to all the other text files, images, spreadsheets and so on.

That dependent file which started the thread is outside. It’s a wholly passive file, so it doesn’t need to benefit from DT.

I have all my Obsidian Vaults indexed as well. They’re in ~/Documents/Data etc, which is now a very sparsely-populated place :slight_smile: !

DT is so flexible that… there’s always a way, isn’t there. Thanks again for your thoughts!