How do you organize/separate your DT databases?

Silly question probably, but it comes up because I have decided to run with two databases: “work” and “home.” Work contains the various projects I’m working on plus some general daily notes and checklists. I should be clear: most of the projects involve writing various kinds of essays – some scholarly, some more general nonfiction. In the case of the book I’m working on, I peeled it off into its own database.

Home contains things like recipes, notes about my daughter (and about the movies I make about her), quotes, song lyrics (either my own or others), tech and computer bits, and general web surfing flotsam that I wish to hold onto.

I break up my database contents into these two realms, and later broke out the contents of the gumbo book, in the belief that that would help refine the search abilities of DT. Was that a dumb conclusion to draw? What are the benefits of smaller, refined databases versus one mongo one?

I ask because I find myself switching between the two more general databases quite a bit and so I’m thinking about just squishing them together.

All thoughts, advice, random musings welcome.

laudunum,

no advice, just some of my own experiences: I mainly work with three databases. One is my main databases, which includes all topics that can be compared with your two databases “Home” and “Work”. I have two more databases for translations which do not need any relation to my home and work stuff, and another database for another project which is again absolutely an island which does not need to be related to other topics.

Problem is, when I browse and find something for my main database, but one of the other two is open, how shall I put it into the main database using the handy services? I solved this with installing a group “clips” on the top level of each of my databases and setting the preferences to new notes/imports to this group only. From time to time, I export the clips folder from the two other databases and import them to the main database.

Some additional work, but yet I can live with it…

As for your two databases. I personally would put them together, the merits of separating are gone if have to close and open too often. I only create databases for absolutely isolated tasks.

Some more ideas?

Maria

Yeah, this is the real key. I have a ‘work’ db and a ‘personal business’ db, but I’ve done a lot of adjusting. I was going back and forth way too much. Now the personal business db houses only things like recipes, receipts, registration codes, tehcnical manuals, etc, that have absolutely nothing to do with work and that I don’t need to access too often (okay, I admit it, I don’t cook as much as I should!), and that I don’t want mixed up with searches in my work db.

I also have a third db for clip art. I have quite an extensive collection and I add more all the time, so it’s very helpful to have it separated out. It’s also good for paring down the size of my dbs, especially my work db which is the one I work in 99% of the time.

But the real key is, as Maria suggested, to be sure that they are really isolated tasks. For me another consideration was searching. I do a whole lot of word and phrase searches in my research and it really cuts down on research time when I take out things that for sure aren’t necessary or helpful in my work, like how to make almond milk or my receipt for purchasing DT Pro.

Hope this helps,

Alexandria

husbands are born to cook, husbands are born to cook, husbands are born to cook.

lalalalalala :unamused:

Maria

Ha! :laughing: I’ll have to remind mine of that!!!

Alexandria