How do you use DT3 for Project Management?

I use a lightweight project management app for dozens of projects, but it would be far more effective if I could manage the project in the same app where I manage all the documents and data (DT3), rather than interlinking between two apps. Any ideas how to use DT3 to implement things like checklists, dependencies, (basic) timelines/gantt charts?

1 Like

Checklists might be doable by either using formatted notes and inserting checkboxes or by using custom metadata (see Preferences > Data).

While it’s admirable to want to use DEVONthink for everything, it is not always optimal.

Many people use the venerable OmniFocus (or Things, etc.) for project management of timelines, etc., as these are apps solely focused on those functions. While DEVONthink is extremely flexible - and even customizable - it doesn’t try to do everything at the expense of doing those things poorly. I’d suggest keeping the lines drawn here.

PS: Check out Script menu > Reminders for some basic integrations with some of these apps.

2 Likes

Thanks, I had not yet seen the integration w/ project management tools via Reminders. That is helpful.

You’re welcome.
:slight_smile:

I am a very longtime Omnifocus user. I keep all of my task lists there, and even though you can attach files to tasks, it isn’t optimal for storing the files you use from day to day. I am thinking of DT3 as control center for storage and retrieval of all files.

I am working on an active project database with groups for each project and the active files. My intention is to archive those files to a Google Drive that is indexed to a database in DT3, so should I need to refer to a file, it is available without being located on my laptop.

@BLUEFROG Jim, If you replicate a file from an indexed Google Drive, does it update the master file when you make edits? Can I delete the replicant later without risking losing anything on the original stored file? Are there risks with that strategy?

@BLUEFROG I missed the Omnifocus Reminder. Very helpful script. Thanks!

1 Like

If you replicate a file from an indexed Google Drive, does it update the master file when you make edits? Can I delete the replicant later without risking losing anything on the original stored file? Are there risks with that strategy?

If you’re referring to indexing a file indexed from a local Google Drive folder, there should be no issue when replicating it. Also, since a replicant has no original - they’re actually all considered the original, changes to one are changes to all. In the case of an indexed files, yes that would be a change to the master file.

And since there is no original, deleting one replicant just removes an instance of the file, not the file itself. Once all replicants are deleted, the last is just the only instance of the file and would then logically be deleted.

@BLUEFROG I missed the Omnifocus Reminder. Very helpful script. Thanks!

Glad you like it. There’s always little gems to discover in DEVONthink! :slight_smile:

Based on this answer, I can just file everything into the appropriate Google Drive, put the replicant in the active projects folder, and delete the replicant when I am done, preventing me from having to file it later. That’s an interesting workflow possibility, filing the document when you create it, tagging it, and not allowing files to pile up in folders or as clutter on my desktop.

It is an interesting concept. I can’t vouch for it fully since I explored it as a technical possibility, i.e., it’s not something I’m actively using. If anyone would have more real world thoughts on it, @Greg_Jones likely would since he uses indexing almost exclusively.