How does "Clip to DT" save its content?

Hello all!

Not a very accurate description that in the title - but so be it.

I used to manually save PDF’s to my HDD - and then import same into DTP.

I now have the browser add-on installed.
If I opt NOT to save the PDF, but simply use the add-on, and save it in the format of “PDF 1 Page”, the page opens perfectly, as expected - and has a live link back to the source URL.

Question: If that URL/page were removed off the WWW - what happens to the file I have downloaded in DTP? Will everything be preserved as it was - i.e. is a “copy” of the file downloaded as well, or does DTP refresh content from the Web?

The overly-cautious in my thinks I should save the PDF first, and then import into DTP. The “trying-to-save-time” part of me thinks - “just clip it, consequences be dammed!”

Could someone kindly explain the differences/pros & cons of both?

A PDF, whether saved or clipped, is a static representation of the data at a given time. It will not update / refresh at any point in the future.

The DEVONthink Safari clipper extension captures the URL of the source page to the document, regardless of the format of the document. As BLUEFROG mentioned, for PDF documents, there is no consequence if the source URL is inactive or if your device is offline as all the content is captured in the PDF. You could delete the URL from DEVONthink’s Info pane and all would be good. However, the PDF may contain links in the text to other sites and clicking on those links will give an error should the links go dead in the future.

As for differences capturing in the other formats, they vary. Capturing a bookmark is the least stable as if the site goes away, the document in DEVONthink is worthless. Web archives and HTML documents are more stable in that the text remains in the document, but any images will be lost if the source site goes away. The Formatted Note document, along with the PDF, is the most stable option. Images are captured in the document in the DEVONthink database and will remain if the original site goes away. The Formatted Note document also has a nice feature that if the web site has a larger image (such as a link from a thumbnail) of a document as part of the page, then clicking on the image in DEVONthink will attempt to load the larger image from the site. If the site has gone away, you’ll get an error but the original image remains in the Formatted Note document.

Why use anything but Formatted Note or PDF? Document size-the bookmarks will be the smallest, the Formatted Notes the largest, with Web archives and HTML documents somewhere in between. One way you can play with the clipper results is to capture the same page in all the various formats, then take your Mac offline by turning off Wi-Fi. Then empty DEVONthink’s cache (DEVONthink Pro (Office) menu, Empty Cache), and view/click on items in the documents to see what happens.

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I have a feeling I’m going to start using the Clip add-on much more frequently now! 8)