How many databases per sync store?

I have 8 databases (incl.Inbox) in frequent use and I synced them through one syncstore.

Now the sync data of the Inboxes on teh diffeernt devices became corrupted and via setting up a new syncstore the sync process of the Inboxes works well again.

My questions now are:

• Should I migrate the other databases to the new syncstore?
  • Or is it better to have separate syncstores?
  • Maybe even one syncstore per database?

Maybe with the one-syncstore-per-database solution I could have avoided the corruption in the Inboxes’ syncstore?

Syncing holds lots of questions!

My understanding is it preferable that a database should have more than one sync store (note that in this context Bonjour is not a sync store). But there is no requirement for every database to use the same sync, or to explicitly use a different sync.

So: only if you want (there is no need); no; no

A sync store can synchronize an unlimited number of databases, therefore you could e.g. use different sync stores for your personal and professional databases (and share the second one with your team).

But each individual database should preferably only be synced via one sync-store, so

Sync-Store 1

• Database 1
  • Database 2
  • Database 3

Sync-Store 2

• Database 4

is recommended, but

Sync-Store 1

• Database 1
  • Database 2

Sync-Store 2

• Database 1
  • Database 3

Sync-Store 3

• Database 1
  • Database 4

is technically feasible but not recommended. Or have I remembered what I read incorrectly?

That’s basically correct, you shouldn’t synchronize the same set of databases to the same set of devices/computers using multiple sync stores. This is redundant, slows things down, causes more network traffic and in the worst case, due to race conditions depending on preferences and actions, might create unnecessary duplicates.

But you could e.g. do this:

• Sync Store Personal (used by your personal devices/computers only)
    – Database 1
    – Database 2

• Sync Store Professional (used by one of your devices/computers plus the devices/computers of your colleagues)
    – Database 1
    – Database 2

This means that one central hub can synchronize databases via multiple sync stores.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for elaborating on that :slight_smile:

(and I endeavour to look up the markdown for bullet with sub-bullet; done, that’s easy :see_no_evil:)

• abc
    - xyz

Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

But Im still unsure what to do: I have moved the Inbox to a new sync store due to corrupting - should I now move all the other databases to this new sync store and delete the old sync store completely? Or shouldn’t it matter?

Don’t move them if you don’t need to.

Sounds like sensible advice. Thanks.

No problem

Can a local sync store be uploaded to Dropbox for example, and then the dropbox store be accessed w DTTG?

I’m just looking for ways to get my Mac to quit tying up the WAN (I have slow internet).

my other “backup” jobs (I know sync != backup) run overnight but I don’t know how I would implement this w DT.

Is there some other way to set up DT so it can function as bonjour by day and remote sync by night? Would be cool if bonjour could interrupt remote sync connections.

Can a local sync store be uploaded to Dropbox for example, and then the dropbox store be accessed w DTTG?

No this is not possible as DEVONthink To Go can’t access the files inside Dropbox.

Is there some other way to set up DT so it can function as bonjour by day and remote sync by night? Would be cool if bonjour could interrupt remote sync connections.

No, neither of these is possible at this time either.