How to access DTP & databases when your computer away?

Thank you all for the many posts, thank you arnow for your diligent effort to explain DevonThink. I just purchased DevonThink Pro and wish I had found this forum topic before I did.

It seems crazy to depend on DevonThink for documents I update and access regularly and that I will surely bring to other computers and systems in the future. I need a folder structure that I can depend on and be able to reference files easily via alias.

I love the smart searches and how it figures relationships between files and research but to depend on an application for file structure that is not something I could easily take elsewhere is not what I thought.

I wish there was a way that it could do what it does as a database that references files in the Finder. Anyway all the many, posts here and arnow’s several post have helped me a lot so thank you very much for taking so much time. I gained greater understanding the more I read. I am going to go through all of this a few more times and I guess use DevonThink for all the OCR it can do.

Maybe I can find other ways to use it without keeping files inside DevonThink.