How to access items in DTTG with other Apps?

So what is the recommended way to roundtrip starting from finding a file within DTTG? It seems to be, go refind the file in the other app or in the Files app. I’m not blaming DT for this, but it is unfortunate.

1 Like

This may be pedantic, but when you use another app (e.g., iA Writer) to locate a document stored in DTTG, then there’s no “round-tripping”. You’re just opening a file from its original location, or opening in place.

But yes, if you have very deep hierarchies in DTTG, locating a document using the Files app or Document Provider can be fairly onerous. Apple’s just not giving developers particularly flexible or robust frameworks and APIs to work with here yet unfortunately.

This is exactly the problem. You use DTTG’s great search to find something, but if you want to edit it elsewhere (or need to because DTTG can’t edit it) then it’s, as you aptly say it: onerous.

As mentioned before: macOS ≠ iOS. Things don’t necessarily work the same on both platforms (despite Apple’s hype).

This is a an older topic but I’m wondering if anything has changed in this front since then? Some apps allow in place editing of content nowadays as far as a I know.

I love DT and it’s by far my most used app on both iOS and Mac but the editing functionality is still lacking and not very pretty so being able to use other apps to do these edits that are specialized in that (for example markdown) would be very useful.

How are you guys handling this?

1 Like

Nothing changed.
I replicate content to a top level folder where i can then find it with the other Apps.

But DTTG does not get fixed to allow some direct call to “open in”.
Not sure if DevonThink needs something from Apple to do this, but other Apps offer such a way.

1 Like

If you open in “reverse“ it can work with some apps. I have always wished I can use the power of search in DEVONthink to go to find the document and then open it in another app. For me it’s markdown documents that are most crucial to my workflow. If I use the “open in“ feature within DEVONthink after finding a document, the changes will not end up syncing. However, I can use an app like iA Writer to open up the file through the Files app and all changes will be saved to DEVONthink.

My other desire would be to find a PDF app that has the same behavior, but it requires the app to support the native files API. I believe PDF viewer is the only one of the major apps that excepts this kind of behavior.

At some level I hope this is an issue with DEVONthink to go and not the other apps (that way it might be fixed by one developer, as opposed to many).

1 Like

Lots of topics around basically the same theme.
Using content from DTTG with other Apps, without creating copies and sending things forth and back.

I have the feeling, that this gets at least some thoughts now, which is great.
Hopefully, the thoughts develop into a proper feature at some day

1 Like

Sorry to bump an old item, but I too wanted to implement this sort of work flow, only I was hoping I could paste the link to the DT item into an Omnifocus task not the Mac, and use omnifocus on the iPad with DTTG as a sort of “read it later” app.

Only I found that when I wanted to open the linked file in another app, I had to copy to the app rather than open the DT location from the link.

So, I’ve read the above and I get the challenges. But if I’m willing to read and annotate with the annotating features in DTTG, could this workflow be vialble ? I’ve been testing it and sometimes it works, but sometimes I get “Couldn’t find the linked item” … which is weird because the exact same link works on the Mac.

@eboehnisch as far as I have understood, the current ios release allows to open files in place. this would mean, it would be possible to click on a file in DTTG, edit it in another app, and save it directly to DTTG. (currently it is only possible either to share it from dttg to another app and to save a copy back to dttg / or alternatively open a dttg file in another app and then save it to dttg).

open in place would be a great feature for dttg. is this already possible or a feature request on your list?

1 Like

Yes, this is something on the list for the next major release.

2 Likes

Let’s hope for this release.

I am totally willing to buy a new version!

But don’t come along with a subscription idea, as written elsewhere in this forum :wink:

Any ETA on this already known? This is a feature that many many people are waiting for desperately.

2 Likes

It arrived this February in version 3.0 :slightly_smiling_face:

Apologies, I must have missed this. Many many thanks and I will try it in the coming days (when I have more time). :+1:

You need to long-press the DTTG share sheet icon for this option to show up in case you were wondering.

What a great idea.

Maybe use other cryptic magic too?

Triple touches, 2 finger swipes and such?

Why not simply visibly add in the menu?!?
I’m speechless

Why make things unnecessary complicated and requiring hidden magic and knowledge?!?

best talk with Apple about this idea.

Simplicity over everything else. It seems that on iPadOS 15 Safari is even hiding the reload button when an external keyboard is attached.

I hate what Apple is doing.
They have cool stuff, esp. the hardware…
But in the OS, they are missing chances and breaking things and preventing real progress