How to adapt a TiBook to run DT Pro

I’m hooked on DT Pro AND I’ve decided to keep my TiBook 400 mhz 768 MB RAM, 40 GB HardDisk, machine until the intel laptops appear. Would someone tell me if I would be better of

1. increasing the RAM on the TiBook to 1 GB or more?

2. Increasing the speed of the hard disk?

Currently I do not do graphics work but have a 2 GB DT pro database open and use about ten other applications concurrently. Any suggestions on adapting an aging PowerBook to DT appreciated.

Check your available memory (Activity Monitor is a good application for this) and then decide if it’s worth to upgrade it. If your free space is small most of the time, it makes sense. But in general the more RAM, the better the performance!
Regarding the speed of your harddisk, given the bus speed of your model, it won’t make much of a difference I think. Better save it for the new machine.

However, I moved from your machine (with a similar configuration) to a 1.5GHz/1.5GB Powerbook somewhat over 9 months ago and the difference was enormous. If you have the money I would definitely consider upgrading now instead of waiting for some 1st generation vapourware from Apple. :wink: I don’t think the PowerPC will be obsolete any time soon…

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to be sure I understand…

If I switch from a 5400 bps 8 MB cache hard drive to a 7400 bps 16 MB cache hard drive I PROBABLY will not be stunned by a speed increase because I am limited by my system bus which is 100 Mhz.

Thanks for the clarication.

I think there are some sites that test these drives on different PowerBooks, check those to be sure. But in general, I don’t think your machine will feel a lot faster after upgrading to that disk. More memory will make more sense.

I’d recommend a RAM upgrade. The heat from the updated HD may not be to your liking as those units tend to run a bit on the “warm” side anyhow.

1GB should be nice. You can always create a RAM disk and run DTP from there, if the database is not very large.

Some apps can renice the front most application, which, according to the developers, yields in a more responsive app (due to higher CPU priority).

good luck

:slight_smile:

I’ve got a Rev. A 500 MHz TiBook. Immediately upgraded the RAM to 1 GB and put in a 60 GB HD.

It’s quite usable with DT Pro databases.

But not as fast as my 2 GHz 2 GB RAM G5 iMac. :slight_smile:

Sorry to belabor this but…

Bill, did you replace your old hard drive with a VERY fast 60 GB (i.e. 7400 rps Hitachi Travelstor)?
Milhouse, can you recommend a renicer? Yes I know there is 6 in macupdate.com but I thought maybe you have a favorite that works especially with DT Pro.

Thanks, people!

P.S. Best place to buy memory anyone?

My replacement HD was a 5400 RPM Travelstar (IBM at the time, I believe). I wouldn’t really recommend the 7200 RPM drive, as it wouldn’t be cost-effective with your limited bus speed, anyway. And as Annard noted, more speed equals more friction equals more heat. Look for a good price for a 5400 RPM HD, but don’t buy an el cheapo. Check user comments on the Net on models you see advertised. You want a quiet, reliable HD, as big as you can afford. Those caveats aside, a big 7200 RPM drive would feel snappier.

You might also consider a large external FireWire drive. I’ve cloned my 250 GB iMac internal HD to partitioned LaCie 500 GB Big Disk (7200 RPM) and can also boot up from the LaCie with the TiBook. You will be limited to FireWire 400 – the LaCie also has 800 connectors – but it runs quite well. Sometimes it’s great to have LOTS of HD space! (But the LaCie drive is built like a tank and weighs more than the TiBook.)

Going to the maximum RAM capacity of 1 GB is your best move. I got mine from OWC (I think – that was years ago), but there are other suitable vendors. In any case, make certain that your vendor understands the RAM specs for your computer, supplies top-grade RAM and will stand behind it.

You can compare RAM prices from the leading vendors at ramseeker.com. Be sure to get a lifetime guarantee.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend an automatic renicer. I have little experience with them.
Some of the developers make spurious claims like “it makes your Mac 30% faster”, so take those with a grain of salt.

I have a 1.5GHz powerbook so I don’t really need a renicer but I like to experiment. I’ll post back if I get to it soon. :wink:

I’d use the versiontracker or other forum feedback as my guide.
Many allow you to “try before you buy”.

For RAM, I use dealram.com or ramseeker to find the best pricing.

FYI, I’ve used 18004memory.com for my last 6 memory purchases and they’ve always come through. They even replaced some 2 yr old faulty RAM that was in a Ti 400 that I sold (I gave the receipt to the buyer).

Many dealers offer a lifetime guarantee, but be certain it’s in writing.

good luck!

:slight_smile: