How to Alias (Yes I've tried manual)

Aliases are a way to give your file another name to make it easier to find. It is extremely useful to create short names for Wiki linking in markdown (that is, using [[). Here are some examples of how I alias stuff:


  1. Academic papers

Name of File: Genetics of rheumatoid arthritis contributes to biology and drug discovery. Okada, et al., 2014. Nature 506:376-380.pdf

Alias: okada2014.

So if I am writing notes for instance and want to refer to that doc in markdown, I use [[okada2014]].

  1. Disease notes.
    Say I have a file where I keep notes on a particular disease:

Name of File: Primary Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis.md

Alias: pMPGN


Again, if I wanted to create a forward link to that document in markdown, I'd use `[[pMPGN]]`.

  1. Project Group/Tags
    This is where it can get interesting. You can alias Groups and Tags in Devonthink3. So for instance I have a project Group (think of it as a folder):

Name of Group: 2021-06 BenevolentAI Competitive Landscape Analysis

Alias: 202106BAI-4

Where the alias is my client reference. When I am typing out notes I can quickly point to my Group with the Alias.


The one thing I wished Devonthink3 did is to make autocomplete suggestions for aliases like it does file names (Obsidian does this).

HTH

1 Like