How to annotate PDF File saved in DT in other applications?

I’m working on my ipad, where my preferred PDF reader application is PDF Expert. I’m trying to read a PDF that is saved in DEVONThink on PDF Expert. However, when I make annotations on it on PDF expert and close the file, the changes don’t appear on DTTG.

Is there a way to open PDFs saved in DTTG on other applications (Through the ipad Files App) and have changes save into the DTTG file? If not PDF Expert, any PDF applications that you know would do this?

Thanks!

How are you opening the pdf; I use the share menu from Devonthink

Thanks. I was just going to PDF Expert , looking for the PDF within the DEVONThink folder in the Files app, which I can access directly from PDF Expert, and opening form there. From what I understand, if I use the share menu, it just opens a new PDF that I would have to save back into DTTG so it has a chance to keep the changes. I was hoping for a way to open the file directly and save myself the “Saving back” features.

This is a known issue with PDF Expert. We have reported this and shared information with Readdle. Acrobat works as expected.

Thanks. Acrobat is just terrible though, at least on ipad. I work with a lot of government PDFs, and they always appear as “password locked” on Acrobat. PDF Expert is just better at that (plus at note taking/commenting on files).

Then I would contact Readdle and Report the issue to them.

I actually did contact them. This was their response. I’m pasting it here in case others have the same issue.

I was able to make changes to PDFs directly and successfully save into DTTG using the app PDF Reader Pro. I prefer the UI of PDF Expert, but at least, I have a workaround.

Thank you for reaching out to us and please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or confusion that took place.

I’m glad to tell you that we’ve managed to reproduce the issue in question (when the integration doesn’t work correctly between PDF Expert and DEVONthink To Go) and created an entry in our bug-tracking system. Our developers are doing their best in order to fix it shortly. However, it may take a while, but once we have any news, we’ll follow you up.

We are extremely sorry for the current inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

Meanwhile, if you have any additional questions or requests concerning the product improvement, please do not hesitate to contact me. I’ll be happy to help.

Have a wonderful and sunny week ahead!

Thanks for sharing the response.

1 Like