How to change mounted volume location for indexed folder?

I used to use NAS to store all my indexed folders, but sometimes, the IP address will be changed, if changed will result in “volume not mounted” error in DT.

Is there easier way to change this location?

If my IP address cannot be fixed, don’t want to change indexed location frequently, how to deal with that?

How are you mounting the NAS?

I used qfinder.app or cmd+k in finder to mount a volume on my QNAP.Sometimes I connect laptop directly to NAS by using IP:smb://169.254.xxx.xxx, but sometimes I connect thru wifi (IP: smb://192.168.xxx.xxx).

Why are you connecting via IP address instead of the Bonjour name of the device, e.g., myNas.local?

I am not familar with bonjour, is it a service that I should open on NAS? Could you please advise the details to open this serivce?

If bonjour works, I will turn to it, but how can I change the IP address to bonjour address?

Why don’t you use a fixed IP address for your NAS? Surely you can tell your DHCP server to always assign the same IP address to this device.

Seems that I cannot fix my ip address because 169.254.xxx.xxx cannot be changed, it’s computer connect to NAS without network mode. Please correct me if i am wrong. I am a newbie for NAS and DT.

I was thinking that as well, though using the Bonjour name would also eliminate the issue.

What is the name of your NAS?
For example, mine is DEVONtech_NAS so I can connect via smb://DEVONtech_NAS.local.

Also, you should be able to make IP assignments in your router settings if it’s running DHCP and NAT for your network (which is common). For example, in an Airport setup you can use DHCP Reservations to ensure a device always gets a certain address in the available range…

Thank you, I will try that.

As I indexed lots of folders and files now, changing volume location is possible?

You should index items in a farily static location.
I strongly suggest you read the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing section. Indexing is not something to casually commit to.

2 Likes