[How to] Dont sync "alias" files

Hi,
is it possible to exclude “aliases” to get imported when doing synchronization?
How to differentiate between “aliases” and original files in DT?
(I’ve accidently imported folders over several days with both file types and now want to remove all alias-files.)
Thanks in advance

Hi,
my question is similar, I think: Synchronizing a big folder, DT pro everytime looks for the originals of an alias-file - it even mounts aliased disk images and scans them! It’s boring.
Please: Where is the button to turn that off? I’ve tried some preference options like “internet locations and links”, I’ve tried to turn “unknown file types” off, but obiously is an alias not unknown to the program…
Please help, DT pro is such a fine program, but I can’t understand the reason for the described behaviour.
Thank you.

Most people use aliases to allow access to a file, folder or volume. If you tell DT Pro to Index-capture or Import-capture the contents of a folder, it will properly pull in the contents of that folder, including following any aliases to capture the referenced information.

Why shouldn’t it? That’s the way OS X operates.

Personally, my databases are topically oriented. I capture into a database those files that are pertinent to my interests for that database. So I don’t create databases by indexing the contents of a hard drive, nor will I necessarily select all of the content of a folder for incorporation into a database.

I’m managing more than 150,000 documents among a number of databases. But my computers contain hundreds of gigabytes of files that i don’t want in my existing databases. For example, there would be no purpose in adding my huge Microsoft User files (including the Entourage database) to a DT Pro database.

My main database, for example, contains over 21,000 references on environmental science, technology, policy and legislation that I’ve lovingly been building over the past 5 years. i’ve got a spin-off database containing a similar-size collection of references on environmental sampling and analytical procedures. Limiting my databases to a size that runs rapidly on my MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM means that I get very responsive performance for searches and See Also operations. And because there are real relationships among the documents in this collection, See Also is an extremely useful tool for following relationships – ideas – in the collection.

My databases are self-contained, so that I can easily move them among different computers. So their contents usually bear no relationship to the other contents on a computer, such as the files stored in the Finder on that computer. All my organization efforts are done inside the databases, not in the Finder.

Yeah, that’s an OS level thing. DTP can’t do anything about it, I don’t think. You might be able to write to Apple and find out how broken iTunes 7 can ignore it, since it completely ignores the aliases I put in my Music directory to point to my Movies and TV Shows folders…
/rant