How to find a flash file in the DTPro cahe?

I got a flash file in DTPro that plays after being offline. So the file is there. How to find it? How to find a flash file in the DTPro cahe?..The 'info" say that is a URL…OK…but the URL plays without internet conexion. It plays the file flash from begining to end. So, the file [color=red]MUST BE in my computer…is it not?..[color=brown]Where is it? :exclamation:
Greetings,
carlos

It’s probably in the WebKit cache (~/Library/Cache/DEVONthink Pro) but it’s actually hard to find anything in this cache (all cached files have more or less generic names).

That mean that I can not export the file? does it mean that if I open these database in another computer, the flash file will not be there, because the cache is not there? Is these correct?..What more is in the cache that get lost when transfering the database file to another computer? maybe the webarchive?..When saving a web page is it saved in the cache or in the database file?..I would apprecciatte a clarification about what type of files are saved only in the cache files…thanks!
carlos

As it’s only a URL, nothing is stored in the database except the URL and cached data (including your flash file) is only available on your account. To create a persistent representation, use web archives.

Thanks!
Please, show me how to make web archives of these URL:
broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf
ideavia.com/cuentoschinos/index2.swf
ideavia.com/showmustgoon/sylvie/silvie.swf
Greetings!
carlos

Carlos:

That’s easy to do if you have DEVONagent, because the Flash pages can be saved to DT Pro as Web Archives using options available in the menu. As DEVONagent 2.0 beta is a free download (which will expire later), download it and use it to capture your Web Archives to DT Pro.

DT Pro’s browser uses contextual menu options, one of which allows saving a page as a Web Archive. The problem with Flash pages is that this contextual menu option isn’t available.

There’s another approach, using scripts. Search the forum Scripting section and I think you will probably find one or more scripts that will do what you want or can be modified to do that.

Bill,
very useful!
even with Safari you can not export as a web archive these flash files!
The export function of Devon agent is great!..So I was able to save that flash file as a web archive and enjoy full screen.
Now, I have imported them into DT Pro, but only is linked to my file…it seems that is not possible to put them inside of the DTPro database…these is the case for anything related with web pages…when something is saved in DTPro as a webarchive it is saved in the cache not in the database…am I right?..would not be most useful to save it in the database?..as a backing up solution is better one place that many…as it is now, to make it work (being offline) all web archives catured with DTPro you [color=red]MUST buckup your [color=red]CACHE too…along with the database…DTPro is a database. So it could be nice to store the webarchive and webpages in the database of DTPro…
thanks for your quick reply and bye
carlos
:wink:

No, the web archive IS actually stored in the database. But the current versions of Apple’s WebKit (the “Safari engine”) are quite buggy and do not always load web archives as expected (e.g. the WebKit sometimes ignores the stored data and tries to access the net). Hopefully the next release of DT will be able to bypass all those bugs of the WebKit.

thanks!
Are you planing to implement the [color=red]‘EXPORT’ function of DevonAgent in DTPro? [color=darkred]PDF paginated and one page choice I find it very useful…and in the case that the webpage is directly a flash file: only with DevonAgent is possible to save it as a web archive…
Second question:
trashing the DTPro caches will affect my database or anythink that I will not be able to display properly with DTPro?
Bye and I’m happy that I bought DTPro right from the start.I knew the future!. Very nice program! and I did not know that has such a good support! :smiley:
carlos

trashing the DTPro caches will affect my database or anythink that I will not be able to display properly with DTPro?

Caches are… well… only caches and not related to the database.

OK!
that, does not answer my questions.
:smiley:
carlos

As long as you’re online, there’s usually no difference if a file is cached or not (except that the cache speeds up the display of web pages).

But if your offline and your viewing a link/URL item, non-cached items are of course not viewable. Anyway, the cache is not related to the database, the size of the cache is limited and the cache is account specific and therefore you should never count on the cache.

Is there a way to know what is cahe and what is not?

Are you planing to implement the ‘EXPORT’ function of DevonAgent in DTPro?

No.

Maybe we’ll add a “Capture PDF” command but there are no plans for a PDF export.

Does mean that is not advisible to empty the DTPro cache as a regular activity? Because something unknown could be lost?

Emptying the cache does not affect the database.

What you see is what you get?
For me database it is what I see when I open DTPro.
You said before that my flash file is in : “It’s probably in the WebKit cache (~/Library/Cache/DEVONthink Pro) but it’s actually hard to find anything in this cache (all cached files have more or less generic names)”…
So if I empty the cache I will lost my flash file…so emptying the cache does affect the database…it seems!..Now, I feel confuse…

That’s not correct. You’ve only stored the URL (!!!) to the flash file in the database. This means that everytime you’re viewing the URL, the WebKit downloads the file if necessary (!!!) and stores it in its cache.

Emptying the cache does NOT affect the database as the database contains only the URL. And if you empty the cache, the only consequence will be that the flash file has to be downloaded again.

Anyway, you can’t rely on the cache because the size of the cache is limited - after viewing too many other pages, the flash file won’t be part of the cache anymore. And the cache is of course system- and account-specific.

is a captured page from DTPro in the cache or in the database?
is a web archive from DTPro in the cache or in the database?
is any diferences among webarchives of DevonAgent, DTPro, and Safari?

1./2. In the database of course
3. No.