How to find search occurence in an e-mail attachment?

I’m using DT3Pro to search through e-mail attachments. It nicely finds search strings in attachments, but there’s no indication other than those e-mails turning up in my search. Is there any way to find the search occurence in an e-mail attachment (e.g. like it is with PDFs)?

Use View > Document Display > Text Alternative.

You can also set emails to view this way always in Preferences > Email > Messages > Use alternative view.

I’m not sure I understand - it’s changing the view of the mail, but it doesn’t show me where in the attachment the search string occurs?

What I’m looking for: when a PDF e-mail attachment contains the word “horse” and I search for “horse” in my Database the e-mail with attachment turns up, but I figure out the match is probably in the attachment, manually open the PDF attachment and manually search for “horse” again inside the attachment. Is there a way to ‘directly’ see that the search string (“horse”) is in the attachment (especially because this is tedious when the e-mail contains several attachments)

No you can’t see search hits in an attached PDF. The file would have to be separated from the email to highlight the search hits.

OK thanks for the answer. And if I’m correct (from searching this forum) it isn’t obvious to split attachments from e-mail messages easily for this purpose (using action rules eg?)

You might want to take a look here:

And here:

AFAIK email is imported in the mbox file format (or at least it can be), which is basically a file with the e-mail headers and bodies in sequence. Any attachments are stored as text as well and decoded back into a file when imported.

In the latter discussion I proposed a method to @cgrunenberg that would separate attachments from emails, while still keeping a relation with that e-mail. Whether that’s easy or very difficult to do, feasible and necessary is up to the DT staff of course.

Personally I think it would be nice if DT had a standard way to have the attachments somehow available alike regular files, e.g. with the duplication strategy above,

1 Like