How to Highlight lines in PDFs with DT3 Pro

I’m flummoxed by the most basic of issues. I’m sure it’s right in front of my face.

With DT2G on my iPad I read and use the highlighting tools all the time. Very convenient. But on DEVONthink 3 Pro I can’t figure out how to do it. I can open and read the PDFs but I’m lost to find highlight tools! From DEVONthink 3 I can choose to “Open with…” PDFPen and highlight with ease (and those highlights are acknowledged in the Annotations pane of the DT3 inspector), but I’d really prefer to work right in the DEVONthink 3 UI.

Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
– Robert

Format - Show editing bar

This gives you access to the editing bar for PDFs. Is this what you are looking for?

Looks right, yes, but for me all the annotation options in that bar are greyed out and inaccessible.

– Robert

Have you selected a text? Click on the blue icon in the screenshot, select some text. With the text still being selected, you should see some of the icons getting activated

No, even when I highlighted text the toolbar didn’t come “alive.” But your message triggered a thought. I went back to the DT3 interface and noticed my downloaded article was listed as a “PDF Document,” not “PDF + text.” So I did an explicit OCR (from the Data menu) on the article and then I could, as you said, use the tools in the editing toolbar.

Oddly enough, the OCR action caused just one of the pages in the article to be poorly reformatted (see the difference between the previous page and the one that was reformatted below it).

Not sure what that’s about. But now, at least, I understand what was inhibiting my work. I’m grateful for your direction. Thank you!

1 Like