How to import from Bookends?

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious; when I click on “Import from Bookends,” what do I need to do next to import? No window or anything pops up, and when I drag references from Bookends I just get a text version of the citatione (i.e. “{Laurel and Hardy, 2011}”). Thanks.

Make sure you’re running the most recent version of Bookends and DEVONthink. If you haven’t, you may want to reboot your machine as well.

Just rebooted, but no luck unfortunately. I have the latest App Store version of Bookends and the latest DevonThink Pro Office. If I try to import from Bookends, will a window pop up like I see if I import email? Thanks.

The problem is likely using the App Store version - and its sandboxing rules. It works as expected withte free-world version of Bookends.

So, I will never have Bookends import functionality? Is there a way to confirm this is the problem?

You could install the free intro version from the Sonny Software site and try it. It is fully functional, other than the number of references in the library is limited. Create a test library in Bookends and a test database in DEVONthink and see what happens.

Another option would be to contact @ support@sonnysoftware.com, describe the problem, and ask if the differences in the App store version may be the cause.

I already contacted Jon. Bookends’ App Store version uses a different bundle identifier, the next release of DEVONthink will support this.

I am using Devonthink3 Pro and the latest (13) version of Bookends. I am new to both programs. I am running Mac OS Catalina.

I have just imported my Bookends references (using DT’s Import dropdown menu). It went fine, but I am wondering if there is an automated way to keep the DT version current with the BE library.

Harold

This isn’t possible but importing the references again will skip already imported references (or update them if necessary). Another common workflow is to simply index the attachments folder of Bookends.

1 Like