How to import from EagleFiler and Yojimbo into DT?

After DEVONnote was retired I moved my notes to EagleFiler and Yojimbo. Now I finally decided to try DT and seeing how amazing is Search, I’m hooked. Now, how do I import my thousands of notes from EF and Yojimbo into DEVONthink ? Any tips ? Thanks!

There’s a rather old thread (from 2009) here about importing from EagleFiler into DT2 which may possibly assist you. There’s also a 2013 hint here about how to deal with items from Yojimbo.

If those don’t help by all means come back for more help.

Stephen

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try it, and will come back if doesn’t work well.

Did you try File > Import > Items from Yojimbo…?

2 Likes

I successfully moved my entire (and huge) database from EF when I started to use DT several months ago.

Not a single hint of any kind of trouble :slight_smile: .

Of course, once I’d got everything into DT, so rich is the latter’s feature set that I wanted to do a lot of tidying up. (That also went without a hitch).

2 Likes

Thank you very much for tips people. I went with drag-n-drop. Super duper!
These are my collected articles, all in HTML format. Folders. Many do include pictures.
Each folder is one subject. Total about 360 folders and each folder 6-15 articles and some have twice as much. So these imported folders are in the INBOX.
Now, what about Databases ? Should I create a Database too with these folders ? or the database is created automatically ? Thanks!

Now, what about Databases ? Should I create a Database too with these folders ? or the database is created automatically ? Thanks!

The Global Inbox is the only automatically created database. It is always open, always present. Others can be made via File > New Database as needed.

I suggest you read the Help > Documentation > Getting Started chapter. It covers the basic philosophy and workings of DEVONthink.

Cheers!

1 Like

@BLUEFROG (Jim) is always right: definitely read through the documentation of the (free) Take Control of guide.

Yes, you will want to create a database. And organize your folders there.

Many (most?) people tend to use the Inbox as a kind of temporary repository or clearing house.

Then allocate files to (ideally, a carefully-designed folder (= DT Groups) structure) either immediately or regularly. But few, I’d have said, keep their Inbox full. A little like ‘All Inboxes’ in Mail.

1 Like

Many THANKS to Bluefrog and Belper!!! Happy Holidays and Happy New 2022!!!

3 Likes

You’re welcome and the same to you and yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

And to you! Good luck :slight_smile: