How to index imported files

I have a group with 3,700 files that have been imported into my database. However, I now wish instead to index them, so that I may manage the files simultaneously across Devonthink and the parent folder. My question: How do I index an imported group?

It seems that it is easier to import files that have been indexed (e.g., by right-clicking files and then selecting “Move into database”). But there doesn’t seem to be an analogous option for the reverse.

Thank you.

This should work. Step 4 is probably not necessary anymore due to tighter integration with the Finder.

By the way I’ve often read indexing a parent folder (instead of each folder on its own) makes things easier.

1 Like

By the way I’ve often read indexing a parent folder (instead of each folder on its own) makes things easier.

Due to the tighter integration with the Finder, indexing the parent folder means deleting subgroups in DEVONthink and emptying the databases’ Trash will remove the indexed subgroups in the Finder. Indexing subfolders individually would prompt you to decide what to remove when emptying the Trash.

2 Likes

Thank you. This was an elegant and simple solution: it worked!