How to make wikilinks open the document and not its group?

In DEVONthink 3.8 on macOS 10.14.6, I have square brackets turned on in wikilinks preferences. When creating or editing Makdown documents, if I create a link normally by enclosing its name or alias in [[]], then if I click the link without modifiers, DEVONthink shows the group where the document is located; it does not open the document itself.

The current behavior is very similar to what you get if you add ?reveal=1 to a DEVONthink item link. I feel like this was not always DEVONthink’s behavior, but I’m unsure because I haven’t tried to use wikilinks for a long time, and searching the user manual and the forums hasn’t led to anything that would explain how to change the behavior. I thought perhaps there was a hidden preference but none of them seem relevant. Clicking the option “open new documents in separate windows” in the preferences panel does not make a difference to this.

Is there a way to change the default click behavior so that DEVONthink opens the document directly, instead of showing the group enclosing the document? I know I can control-click the link and choose “Open link in DEVONthink 3”, but (a) I find that slower to do and (b) it always opens a new window. I’d like to have it change the current window’s content to show the linked-to document. If instead I select “Open link in new tab” from the contextual menu, it opens a new tab, but the tab shows the group, not the document.

Never mind: I found the preference setting – it’s “Automatically reveal items” in General preferences. Duh.

1 Like