How to open link to database item externally if clicked outside DevonThink

Hi,

is there a way to link to a database item in such a way that it is opened with the external app for that file format, in a scenario where the link is followed from outside DevonThink?

Maybe there is some kind of suffix that can be added to the links, similar to how ?=reveal will reveal the item?

I don’t need this as a general behavior, just for specific links.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

DEVONthink is always required to follow the link.

1 Like

To clarify: What I would like to do is to open e.g. a PDF stored in DevonThink with Acrobat by clicking a link from outside of DevonThink. By default the item is opened in a DT viewer window

So, you suggest an additional URL parameter like openWith=default|Acrobat|Photoshop to the x-devonthink-item URL?

Yes, if such a parameter doesn’t exist yet, I’d like to suggest adding it :slightly_smiling_face:

Probably something like ?=openext to open the link externally would be sufficient. This would do the same as selecting the item in DT and opening it externally

The next release will support this.

6 Likes

Wow, this is already implemented in the new 3.8.5 release that just came out! And even with the option to define a specific external app as @chrillek suggested.

That has to be a new record regarding time to implementation. Thanks for being so attentive to suggestions from the user community :clap: :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, kudos to Devonthink support and its developers. Pretty staggering to consider how many compute cycles the Devonthink app coordinates every day.

An awesome tool!

3 Likes

This feature is really useful. Will this be made available to DTTG soon?

It is consideration but I can’t commit to soon or any other timeframe. :slight_smile:

Great. Looking forward to it.