How to replicate file w/ Label & Flag combo?

I clip files into DTP from web browsers that eventually go into certain project-based databases, and then subject-based folders/groups. I also label each file based on its priority (e.g., Urgent, High, Medium, etc.).

In my Global Inbox (which is synced with my DTTG apps) I’ve created the following groups/folders:

1-URGENT READING
2-HIGH READING
3-MEDIUM READING

Is there a way for me to set up Smart Rule so that files can be replicated to one of these folders when have a Urgent, High, Medium label and a Flag? If so, how would I best set this up?

Thanks!

E.g. like this, the desired label and destination group have to be customized of course:

1 Like

Thank you, again, @cgrunenberg … This looks great! I’ll try setting this up and report back if I have any questions. Thank you so much for your help!

Why not use smart groups instead of groups/folders

edit: I missed the DTTG reference; no smart groups

1 Like

Thanks, @DTLow Happy to consider this, too. Can’t recall if smart groups (and the files they contain) appear in DTTG yet…

There’s one other element that I’m wondering if I can introduce in either set up, namely: would it be possible to group these files with the Label & Flag combo either by the original subject-based folders/groups they’re stored in or tags that are affixed to them?

Thanks for your help!

Hey @cgrunenberg , and ideas / suggestions on how to do this?

And what do you think of the idea of doing this as a Smart Group instead? My hesitation is that I don’t believe it would work with DTTG. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Correct, user-defined Smart Groups are not available in DTTG.

1 Like

One more question…

Would it be possible to amend Smart Rule you’ve created for replication of files within the triaged folders I referenced (i.e., 1-URGENT READING ; 2-HIGH READING ; 3-MEDIUM READING) and, within those folder have the files grouped by subject-based folders/groups they’re stored in or the tags that are affixed to them?

Thanks very much, again!

Got it. Thanks!

I’m not sure what exactly you’re trying to achieve.

1 Like

Ok, so I have the following organizational structure for storing articles and documents in DTP…

[Database - project-based]
ORCHARDS

[Parent Groups - subject-based]
Apples

[Organizational groups & sub-groups]
I. ARTICLES
-Raw
+Annotations
= Rendered

II. DOCUMENTS
… etc. …

I put most of the articles and documents I need to read into the " - Raw" group, and then label with an Urgent, High, Medium label. Thanks to your help with the clipping approach in the other post, these files also inherit subject-based tags – i.e., subjects that correspond with the Parent Groups.

I’ve got dozens of projects, and so when I when they become a high priority I thought I could flag the Parent group or the Organizational groups for I. ARTICLES & II. DOCUMENTS so that, when used in conjunction with the Smart Rule you set up, these flagged and labeled files would be replicated to the the following groups/folders in my Global Inbox (which is synced with my DTTG apps):

1-URGENT READING
2-HIGH READING
3-MEDIUM READING

Because I’ve got many files, I was wondering if there’s a way to also groups the files with these groups, based on their subject-based Parent Groups or Tags – which would be the same thing (e.g., Apples). In other words…

1-URGENT READING
-Apples [tag or group]
-Bananas [tag or group]
-Oranges [tag or group]

2-HIGH READING
-Apples [tag or group]
-Bananas [tag or group]
-Oranges [tag or group]

3-MEDIUM READING
-Apples [tag or group]
-Bananas [tag or group]
-Oranges [tag or group]

Does that make sense? BTW, I’m happy to consider an alternative approach to this. Thanks so much again for all of your help!

The question is actually how these files should be grouped, there has to be some kind of criteria or condition for a smart rule.

1 Like

I think I’ve figured out the taxonomy for how to group them, i.e., first the priorities folders (1-Urgent, 2-High, 3-Medium), and then by topic – that is, in subject-based Parent Groups or Tags (which are the same thing). For me, the question is how to group them through the replication process…

How would you actually decide what’s the right group/topic? DEVONthink doesn’t know your intents and bananas are as good as apples for the app :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry – I feel like I might not be properly explaining myself. I’ll try to explain it a bit more clearly.

So, I store files in Database [project-based] >Parent Groups [subject-based] > and then within folders for articles or documents. e.g. …

ORCHARDS
Apples
I. ARTICLES
-Raw
[File I’ve saved – that has an Urgent, High, Medium label and an “Apples” tag]

When I suddenly need to read articles and documents in my “Apples” project, I can flag the Parent group or the Organizational groups for I. ARTICLES & II. DOCUMENTS so, when used in conjunction with the Smart Rule you set up, these flagged and labeled files would be replicated to the the following groups/folders in my Global Inbox. The only problem is that prioritized folders (1-URGENT READING; 2-HIGH READING; 3-MEDIUM READING) contain scores of other files that aren’t grouped by subject.

I’m just trying to see if there’s a way to group those files in the prioritized folders (1-URGENT READING; 2-HIGH READING; 3-MEDIUM READING) by subject-based parent folder or tag (e.g. Apples) which are one and the same.

Here’s a thought… Maybe it’s easier to leave your original Smart Rule for Label & Flag application alone, and then create another Smart Rule that can be applied to the prioritization folders that groups files by tag. Would that work?

Thanks so much again, and sorry to trouble you with this…