How to share global inbox with multiple mac users?

Hi there,

I am using Devonthink on a MacBook together with my wife. We have seperate user accounts on the Mac, gut need to work together with Devonthink on the same databases incl. global inbox.

So while I store the databases in a dedicated, shared folder where both accounts have r/w access, the global inbox is by design user specific and in a location only accessible to the logged in user.

I can play around with static links and things like that to maybe overcome this situation, however my question is if there is a simple way or workaround adressing my needs as I think others are working in a similar way.

Also: How to deal with a database opened in user account A and then opened in user account B to avoid any persisting problems.

Best Regards,

Uwe

How to deal with a database opened in user account A and then opened in user account B to avoid any persisting problems.

If you’re referring to having the same database file open in multiple accounts, you can’t. DEVONthink databases are not made to support simultaneous user access.

You could use a common Dropbox account, i.e., logging in with the same credentials, to sync the Global Inbox between accounts or machines. However, you can only log DEVONthink into one Dropbox account at a time.

You could also use a local sync store in the Shared folder and both accounts sync to it. However, note the permissions in the Shared folder can be fiddly (and it’s been a known issue for years).